ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aged water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Pakho

Default Aged water

Hi all,

I am a new discuss keeper, I read a lot about using aged water to do water change, i.e. adding prime to the new water in a separate reservoir, fully aerate it, heat it to same temp as main tank and let it sit for at least 24 hours before adding it into the main tank.

The water became cloudy in the reservoir after 4-5 days. Just curious, if the water still good for water change? Or it is not recommended because it's too "old" (sitting there for too long)???

Thanks,
    Last edited by rkeane; 12-23-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Aged water

Yes, it's fine.

Real Name
    Shan

Yea just keep it circulated and heated, should be okay.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Bill G.

It can surely go days w aeration and heat, but I never have cloudiness in my 45g Brut garbage cans. Just curious.....what was in your aging tank prior to adding new water? While cloudiness is not likely a panic issue, the cause is worth knowing.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You shouldn't add prime to the reservoir and leave it for days. Aerate and heat your water in the reservoir for 24-48hrs and add the Prime to the tank as you fill it after draining the waste water. Prime dechlorinates and also converts ammonia (chloramines) to ammonium for up to 48hrs so that they're non-toxic to fish while the biofilter converts the ammonium to harmless nitrate.
    It is possible that the cloudiness is from the conversion of ammonium (harmless) back to ammonia (toxic).

Registered Member

I think it is just okay to do it. Good luck bud

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Moreetta View Post
    I think it is just okay to do it. Good luck bud
    What are you talking about here? If you're suggesting to go ahead and use 4-5 day old water that has toxic ammonia in it for water changes that's not a good suggestion...luck certainly will be of no use...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Pakho

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    It can surely go days w aeration and heat, but I never have cloudiness in my 45g Brut garbage cans. Just curious.....what was in your aging tank prior to adding new water? While cloudiness is not likely a panic issue, the cause is worth knowing.
    It is a used 40 gal fish tank I bought, before using it I cleaned it thoroughly in and out...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Pakho

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    You shouldn't add prime to the reservoir and leave it for days. Aerate and heat your water in the reservoir for 24-48hrs and add the Prime to the tank as you fill it after draining the waste water. Prime dechlorinates and also converts ammonia (chloramines) to ammonium for up to 48hrs so that they're non-toxic to fish while the biofilter converts the ammonium to harmless nitrate.
    It is possible that the cloudiness is from the conversion of ammonium (harmless) back to ammonia (toxic).
    That could possibly be the reason... The reservoir is 40 gal, I usually keep 30 gal of fresh tap water in it. Every time I do WC, I pump out 15 gallons into the new tank, then I add back 15 gallons fresh tap water followed by Prime...

Real Name
    Bill G.

Go ahead and test your aged water for Ammonia. I’d never encourage one to add aged water that’s mysteriously cloudy.....something is causing it and it’s an unnecessary risk to your fish imho. Would you drink water that is discolored when it used to be clear???

Registered Member

I wouldn't use cloudy water for a water change. Makes no sense at all regardless of the etiology

Registered Member

Would you rather drink the cloudy water change water or clear water from the tank?

Real Name
    Francis

When using Seachem Prime/Safe....if adding water to the tank before treating, it is best to treat for the volume of the entire aquarium. This ensures that there is enough of the conditioner available to remove any chlorine or chloramine, without being effected by any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate currently in the water.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    This ^^^^^
    Stop adding water conditioner to the aging tank. The free chlorine will gas out on it's own with aeration and water movement. When you do your water change only add to the tank and add enough for the entire tank size. The whole purpose of the aging tank is to stabilize the water Ph. Many areas water is high in dissolved gases, these need to off gas so your ph doesn't jump or crash. Discus can tolerate high ph and low ph they do not tolerate pH that jumps around a lot. My pH came out of the tap at 8.9 and settled at 7.6 after 48hrs so that's quite the jump for the fish and drop for the fish.

I agree. Danny is 100% correct.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast