AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Camera help

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default New Camera help

So I splurged on a real camera (Sony A7iii) but I'm getting horrible flicker on my Discus tank, quite upsetting!

Is this at all fixable within the camera settings or is this 100% unavoidable without replacing the light?

DSC00791.jpg

It takes really good pictures otherwise.

DSC00354.jpg

DSC001582.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Default Re: New Camera help

What do you mean "flicker". Are you trying to take a video? Or is it just coming out underexposed like in the first photo?
    Is the light fluorescent?

Either way, I don't think the camera has a special setting exactly. You probably know this, but AC lights like incandescents and especially fluorescents pulse at the same frequency as the power in your house (60Hz in the USA and Canada, 50Hz most other places, i.e. 60 or 50 cycles per second). When you get an underexposed shot like that, you're catching the scene in between pulses. You have to be shooting with an shutter speed fast enough to open after one pulse and close before another pulse, faster than. If you set you shutter to 1/60, you 'll get a full cycle. If you're shutter speed is set to 1/125, you should get almost half a full cycle with should have at least one pulse. Try playing with your shutter speed and see if that helps.

Here's a good article for reference:
    https://photographylife.com/light-frequency-issue

BTW, the a7iii is a fantastic camera. I have one too. What lenses did you get?
    Last edited by dnkn; 12-24-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

This maybe a better sequence, and it might be called banding?

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

The light is a BeamsWork DA FSPEC led.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by dnkn View Post
    What do you mean "flicker". Are you trying to take a video? Or is it just coming out underexposed like in the first photo?
    Is the light fluorescent?

Either way, I don't think the camera has a special setting exactly. You probably know this, but AC lights like incandescents and especially fluorescents pulse at the same frequency as the power in your house (60Hz in the USA and Canada, 50Hz most other places, i.e. 60 or 50 cycles per second). When you get an underexposed shot like that, you're catching the scene in between pulses. You have to be shooting with an shutter speed fast enough to open after one pulse and close before another pulse, faster than. If you set you shutter to 1/60, you 'll get a full cycle. If you're shutter speed is set to 1/125, you should get almost half a full cycle with should have at least one pulse. Try playing with your shutter speed and see if that helps.

Here's a good article for reference:
    https://photographylife.com/light-frequency-issue

BTW, the a7iii is a fantastic camera. I have one too. What lenses did you get?
    I've seen the shutter speed suggestion before, I'm just an ultra beginner at settings.
    The last time I played with a real camera was in high school photography 25 years ago.

I bought 3 sigma lenses so far, the Sony glass is just way too much $$.

105mm Macro
    14-24mm
    24-70mm

Planning on getting a big zoom eventually, but I want to work on the fish first!

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Ah right ... More of an interference pattern. Well that's probably a related issue. What's your shutter speed on the above photos? Are you shooting in silent shooting mode, or can you hear the shutter when you shoot, and if can hear the shutter, how many shutter cycles can you hear?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by dnkn View Post
    Ah right ... More of an interference pattern. Well that's probably a related issue. What's your shutter speed on the above photos? Are you shooting in silent shooting mode, or can you hear the shutter when you shoot, and if can hear the shutter, how many shutter cycles can you hear?
    I'm taking full auto photos with default settings, still trying to figure out where everything is.

I ordered a photography basics book, is there any camera specific manuals you can recommend?

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Sorry .. Google and Youtube for me. If you search for banding and electronic shutter, you'll find all kinds of information. Also, have you seen the band on anything outside the tank? Is it possible that the glass on your aquarium is tempered, and maybe something in the system is polarized (lens filter?) and you're seeing the roller marks on the glass?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Nope, only banding I'm getting is on the discus & angel tanks, both acrylic & running the same LED.
    Watched a couple of youtube videos for the camera, found how to adjust aperture and shutter speed.

I need to be @ F8 or below for the banding to stop, but now they seem to be too dark.

DSC01583222.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob_B

If it's an interference pattern from the lights, I don't see how aperture would have any effect. Try shooting with a shutter speed of 1/60 and make certain that your mechanical shutter is operating. You should hear is open and close twice when you shoot. If you don't then some or all of your "shuttering" is electronic, and that's where the interference really occurs.