AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Young Parents

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Default Young Parents

I have a 55G with a community of youngsters ... mostly some of the more peaceful cichlids. I have four small green and gold severums, one uaru, three electric blue acaras, three german rams, three albino threadfin geos, and a geo surinamensis, plus a couple corys and a pleco. I know the tank will be too small once the severums, the geos, and the uaru get a bit bigger, but it's fine for now. Or at least it was.

Everyone in the tank has been jumpy for the last few days. The pleco was splotchy and a couple of the sevs spent a lot of time huddled behind a rock. Water parameters were fine, but I did a big water change anyway. I also noticed that two of my acaras has a brownish grey bands on the tops of their heads, and were getting pretty agressive, terrorising the sevs which are much bigger. I wondered if they were spawning, but they're still pretty young and small, maybe 2.5 - 3". Well, now I know.

PXL_20201230_042019745_2.jpg

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Re: Young Parents

Yep they be spawning
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Tom

Well done with the EB Acaras .
    Until they get in breeding dress they one of the most difficult fish to sex IMO.
    When ready to breed the female will turn more grey /white like their heads are in picture .
    They are pretty tough parents and may cause some trouble with the other fish when they try to raise their fry .
    Congrats !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Thanks Tom. I moved the pair and the rock with the eggs into another tank. They were making everyone else miserable.

I watched a YouTube video of your operation a while back, and as I recall, you know a thing or two about breeding EB Acaras
    What do you think the chances of success are with the first batch? Can they successfully rear young when they are themselves are as young as they are? I guess I don't really know their age. But they aren't even 3" yet.
    Last edited by dnkn; 12-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Well the eggs were gone this morning, and I thought they'd been eaten by the parents until I saw little wigglers on the bottom of the tank. They hatched! Now what? I'm really not prepared ... When do they start eating, what do I feed them, and how often? Will they eat flake crumbs if I grind them into powder? I know many sources say BBS, but that's another thing I've never done.