ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus fish Weight

Registered Member

Default Discus fish Weight

Does anyone have any data on approximate weight of discus fish based on size? I am trying to base a more accurate feed amount based on percentage of the fish weight. Wondering if anyone has any data. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Discus fish Weight

Do you plan on feeding them one at a time if not by weight won't work. Happy New Year

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Do you plan on feeding them one at a time if not by weight won't work. Happy New Year
    I don't see why it would not work. My fish are 5-6.5". If I know the typical weight of say 5.5" discus, I could estimate the total weight of all fish and then figure out the correct amount to feed based on 1% bodyweight. It is probably the most accurate way of feeding fish without over or under feeding.

Registered Member

Why dont you think things thru and come up with a plan. I do not think you will get the support that you are looking for until we see your methodology and proposal

Real Name
    Bill G.

Imho, I base my feedings more on how much food they eat in a short while. If you base feedings on weight alone, you may have left over food if say, they are not especially active.....like in cooler water. I keep my water on the warm side and they are avid eaters, but still, I only put in what they consume in a short while. I also prefer to maintain my fish a bit on the hungry side.....active as opposed to just sitting around.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

It seems logical to me that if you have a fish or fishes that eat a lot more than the others, and I have found this is usually the case, then the weight thing goes out the window if you think they will all get their fair share.

Just throw the food in. Let them eat. Put in more the next time. Let them eat it. Keep giving them more each time until they don't clean it up. Then back off just a bit from that amount.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 12-31-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Registered Member

Several studies out of University of Florida showed that for optimal fish health, an adult fish should be fed no more than 1-1.5% of their body weight in a day. You can give that amount once a day or divide it up to two/three times a day. So if an adult discus weights 70g, with lower end of 1% then that is 0.7g of food a day. If you have 10 adult discus then that is 7g of food. You can easily measure 7g of your desired food and give it to them all in one setting or divide as see fit.

The question that I had is if anyone has ever weight their fish, perhaps post mortem. Internet says adult discus weights 70g, but I am not sure how accurate that is. I think this would be a much more scientific and accurate way of feeding since a lot of fish are like dogs, they just eat no matter how much food you put in front of them which is neither good for the fish or the water quality.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    Several studies out of University of Florida showed that for optimal fish health, an adult fish should be fed no more than 1-1.5% of their body weight in a day. You can give that amount once a day or divide it up to two/three times a day. So if an adult discus weights 70g, with lower end of 1% then that is 0.7g of food a day. If you have 10 adult discus then that is 7g of food. You can easily measure 7g of your desired food and give it to them all in one setting or divide as see fit.

The question that I had is if anyone has ever weight their fish, perhaps post mortem. Internet says adult discus weights 70g, but I am not sure how accurate that is. I think this would be a much more scientific and accurate way of feeding since a lot of fish are like dogs, they just eat no matter how much food you put in front of them which is neither good for the fish or the water quality.
    I cannot see how they could make a statement like that about optimal feeding because there are so many different kinds of fish with different digestive systems and stomachs. For instance, how can you say to feed a Koi the same as a striped bass? Not apples to apples at all.