ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: FD California blackworms

Registered Member

Default FD California blackworms

I'm trying this product for the first time (Al is still backordered). I noticed that there is a red dye associated with these worms. Has anyone had any issue with this? I have one discus that eats it, others just ignore it. The one that is eating the blackworms doesn't seem to be himself today. Normally comes to the front to be fed. This morning a little skittish and staying in the back. Other fish are acting normally. Began feeding the FD California blackworms for about a week now. Don't know if there's a correlation here.

Registered Member

Default Re: FD California blackworms

check the label to make sure there is not a red additive.
    I've been using their FDBW without problems

Real Name
    Tom

I use them too. My opinion is there not as good as Als. They have many different types with different additives. Did you get the mixed bag or maybe the beefheart type. The bf type does have red chunks in it.

Registered Member

I tried the small 10g package before committing to it. I thought I was ordering the plain cubes, but the label does say "with color enhancing astaxanthin". My guy doesn't like to pick at the cube pressed against the side. He likes it loose. When I rehydrate them in a container of water to separate the worms is when I noticed the water turning red.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

No idea, but can tell you all my discus practically jump out of the tank when they see me coming with Al’s FDBW!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

Registered Member

I'm using their plain cubes now and they seem fine. I have purposely avoided the variety packs and other variations as it does look like color additives were added. I separate mine in tank water in a cup to make it easy to distribute for all of the fish and the water color doesn't change outside of becoming a bit cloudy. Definitely not a reddish color at all. Oh and the package doesn't say color enhancing anywhere.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I have used California Blackworms FD products and more recently Al's products. I generally order Al's "Bio-Pigment Plus" or California's "Variety Pack", I currently have Al's plain cubes as well. I break the cubes into 3 - 4 pieces and spread them out over the surface of the tank, my Discus and Angels devour them as soon as they hit the water; the dither fish are right below in line. My plan is to first order from Al if has the FD Balckworms in stock in order to support him and this form, but it is nice to have a second supplier.

Registered Member

Thanks guys, I put half a cube in a container, strain, rinse in fw and good to go. I was concerned because he's a wild green Lake Tefe and is limited to what he'll eat.
    He seems "normal" now. I would like to try Al's when he gets stock in, this is all that is available for now.