AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mixing wild and bred discus

Registered Member

Default Mixing wild and bred discus

I have 17 of Kenny's discus, all doing well. Someone local to me is selling his 5.5" wild discus. Is it advisable to mix the wild with Kenny's discus or am I looking for trouble. Obviously I would do the 6-8 weeks of quarantine. Has anyone successfully mixed the two strains and if so anything they would like to share advise wise? Thank you for your input.

Registered Member

Default Re: Mixing wild and bred discus

All discus are basically the same. I have mixed wild discus with domestic. You may have even gotten a few "wild cross" fish from Kenny in the 17 that you purchased from him. You might ask what food, water temperature, and water ph the seller has kept the fish in. Also, age fo the fish. One thing that causes me pause with regard to fish imported direct from the wild is that the age of the fish us an unknown. Is the fish a direct import or a domestic F1 or more?

Real Name
    Tom

I’d say it can be done. Once you’ve qt them for 4-6 weeks take your least favorite Kenny’s and add it to the wild tank. Give them 2-4 weeks and see what happens. If all goes good add slowly to main tank. How big is your main tank? How long have you had your Kenny’s and how long has the other guy had his wilds?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’d say it can be done. Once you’ve qt them for 4-6 weeks take your least favorite Kenny’s and add it to the wild tank. Give them 2-4 weeks and see what happens. If all goes good add slowly to main tank. How big is your main tank? How long have you had your Kenny’s and how long has the other guy had his wilds?
    My tank is 180 gal with 60 gal sump and 75 gal aquaponics. I have had Kenny's for 6 months. He claims he has had the wild for one year. I will take your advice. Seems reasonable. If it doesn't work out I guess I would have to sell the Wild again which will be a pain.

Registered Member

Are the wild direct import or are they domestic first or late generation. Are they Heckel, Alenquer, Tefe...or?

Real Name
    Tom

Sound like a nice set up you have. Qt in a separate tank with its own water. How big are the wilds? Pics .