AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Pulliing the trigger on discus, this is what I will do, please any advice is welcome.

Registered Member

Default Pulliing the trigger on discus, this is what I will do, please any advice is welcome.

Hi!

I've been keeping fish for nearly 2 years now. Started with a 40g breeder with the classics: Neons, Cories and a Gourami. Had great success with it, planted it up and fish are doing great! Now I have several other tanks, including 100g oscar and severum tank, 45g green terror, 20g livebearers and a 10g shrimp tank.

I started this hobby back in April 2019 because I saw this exact GIF: https://gfycat.com/gregariouswarpedangelwingmussel

It was that discus that made me say "WOW, I should put a fish tank". But I did extensive research on them at the general idea I got was that it was better not to start with discus, because they are very demanding. My water is also rock hard, and I read they preffer soft, acidic waters, so that discouraged me even more to get discus.

Now, nearly 2 years from that, I wish to finally try discus as now I have the experience of keeping all these other tanks. I've read a lot about discus, how you gotta feed protein, how you gotta keep them warm, etc. My only worry was my tap water, it is extremely hard. It is currently about 18dH (about 360ppm GH, I believe) and with a pH of 7.6-7.8, depending on the month of the year.

I've discovered Discus Hans seller, and everyone has recommended me to start with his discus, as these german ones are adapted to harder water. Do you think I will have success with Steindker discus and my water?

This is what I'm trying to do:
    75g, bare bottom aquarium with 3 Aquarium Coop sponge filters (or fluval 406 canister, whatever you think is best).
    84F temp, 18dH hardness and 7.8pH.
    6 juvenile "german wonder" discus from discus hans. (II'm tryint to start with juvies as there's no way I have the budget to dish out $900 on grown discus haha, on top of the 75g and the equipment).
    Feed them with Tropical Discus Gran D-80

They will be growing out, how much should I feed daily? And how much water change/how frequent? If I understand correctly, since they're growing up, I have to change water daily right?

Any advice/corrections/suggestions/guidance? Do you think this is a solid plan?

Thank you!
    Last edited by HenryC; 01-04-2021 at 03:38 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Pulliing the trigger on discus, this is what I will do, please any advice is welc

Welcome to simply discus. Yes this can be done with your water. For your other tanks are you using tap water? Do you treat with prime?

Very good plan. Hans discus should be fine! They are great beginner discus. For food add freeze dried black worm as the main food. Al sells them here and California black worms also sells them. Also hakari frozen blood worms and brime shrimp a few times a week.

Water changes should be done daily till 4-5” at least 50%. Feeding should be around 6+times a day till 5”. Clean water and food is what they need to grow.

If your using tap water for your other fish it should be fine for your discus.

Registered Member

Default Re: Pulliing the trigger on discus, this is what I will do, please any advice is welc

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    Hi!

I've been keeping fish for nearly 2 years now. Started with a 40g breeder with the classics: Neons, Cories and a Gourami. Had great success with it, planted it up and fish are doing great! Now I have several other tanks, including 100g oscar and severum tank, 45g green terror, 20g livebearers and a 10g shrimp tank.

I started this hobby back in April 2019 because I saw this exact GIF: https://gfycat.com/gregariouswarpedangelwingmussel

It was that discus that made me say "WOW, I should put a fish tank". But I did extensive research on them at the general idea I got was that it was better not to start with discus, because they are very demanding. My water is also rock hard, and I read they preffer soft, acidic waters, so that discouraged me even more to get discus.

Now, nearly 2 years from that, I wish to finally try discus as now I have the experience of keeping all these other tanks. I've read a lot about discus, how you gotta feed protein, how you gotta keep them warm, etc. My only worry was my tap water, it is extremely hard. It is currently about 18dH (about 360ppm GH, I believe) and with a pH of 7.6-7.8, depending on the month of the year.

I've discovered Discus Hans seller, and everyone has recommended me to start with his discus, as these german ones are adapted to harder water. Do you think I will have success with Steindker discus and my water?

This is what I'm trying to do:
    75g, bare bottom aquarium with 3 Aquarium Coop sponge filters (or fluval 406 canister, whatever you think is best).
    84F temp, 18dH hardness and 7.8pH.
    6 juvenile "german wonder" discus from discus hans. (II'm tryint to start with juvies as there's no way I have the budget to dish out $900 on grown discus haha, on top of the 75g and the equipment).
    Feed them with Tropical Discus Gran D-80

They will be growing out, how much should I feed daily? And how much water change/how frequent? If I understand correctly, since they're growing up, I have to change water daily right?

Any advice/corrections/suggestions/guidance? Do you think this is a solid plan?

Thank you!
    My advice:

-Get 10 fish instead of 6.
    -Only discus, no tankmates.
    -Keep the temp at 86 instead of 84.
    -Sponge or HoB filter with prefilter sponge. No canister.
    -No live plants.
    -Have at least 1 quality variety of the following 4 types of food and rotate them (frozen, freeze dried, flake and sinking granule).
    -Feed minimum 4x a day. Granules like Sera or Royal Menu work well in an Eheim autofeeder if you are at work or not around to feed.
    -50% water change daily. Vacuum up pooh at bottom daily if possible or at least 3x week. Wipe the inside of the tank glass of algae and slime weekly. Squeeze out the sponges at least 3x week.
    -Test your PH out the tap. Then fill a bucket of tap water and run an airstone or powerhead for 24 hrs. Test that water. Compare the two values. This will determine if you need to age your water.
    -Make sure the water surface has some agitation -- from either the filter outflow, airstones, powerhead, etc. Discus can take more flow than people think.
    -Check out this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank

Registered Member

- go with 10!
    - German wonder is one of the best from Stendker, however you might consider to add some different colours as well
    - I would suggest with their guidelines regarding feeding and water change https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/Diskus-Handbuch/

Registered Member

Thanks! Yes I'm using the same hard tap water with everyone, and they're doing great.

Real Name
    Tom

Well I’m sticking with the 6#. German wonders will be great. Being your just starting 6 is a good number. If it work and your happy with the results buy a grow out tank 4 more and grow them out than add to main tank. 10 to me in a 75 is pushing it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well I’m sticking with the 6#. German wonders will be great. Being your just starting 6 is a good number. If it work and your happy with the results buy a grow out tank 4 more and grow them out than add to main tank. 10 to me in a 75 is pushing it.
    My thinking with 10 juvis is having some buffer if/when some of them stunt/runt/die. It will also spread out the aggression a little.
    Six 3-inchers in a 75 is a lot of empty space if you subscribe to the notion that discus juvis grow better in smaller tanks. You could have up to 10 five inchers in a 75 if you're diligent, right? If u are that lucky to get to that point with your first ever discus attempt, you can then get rid of 2 or 3 for your final show amount.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    My thinking with 10 juvis is having some buffer if/when some of them stunt/runt/die. It will also spread out the aggression a little.
    Six 3-inchers in a 75 is a lot of empty space if you subscribe to the notion that discus juvis grow better in smaller tanks. You could have up to 10 five inchers in a 75 if you're diligent, right? If u are that lucky to get to that point with your first ever discus attempt, you can then get rid of 2 or 3 for your final show amount.
    Agreed. Sadly at least half might not make it thru three months.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    What do you guys do with the fish that you get rid of?
    Hopefully you don't just conk them in the head like the koi people do.

Vinni

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    What do you guys do with the fish that you get rid of?
    Hopefully you don't just conk them in the head like the koi people do.

Vinni
    Craig's list or LFS donation.

Real Name
    Tom

I’m still with 6. But thinking about it. If you get 6 German wonders they will all be from the same hatch. So I think your odds would be better at the 2.5-3” size if you get 3 different types. Gives you better odds. My first group was 6 all lived 3 at the 6+ size and 3 5”. Second group of 8 I started in June these are now 2 at 5” 4 at 4” and 2 white leopards at 3.5. All Hans all different types in pairs. So 14 and no losses though 1 runt.
    I do believe Hans fish are stronge fish and grow big. But I’m not buying the once a week water changes. Clean water and many feeding.