AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLBlue's Discus

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: FLBlue's Discus

How often you're going to change water is a key factor in choosing discus by size. Regardless of whether they're Asian or European in origin, they've been raised with one or more water changes daily. If you plan to do daily, large water changes, it makes sense to get smaller discus and save the money. Get larger discus if you don't plan to do so, because growth will be slower and their adult size will be less with fewer water changes.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Good choices! Now what Willie says is true. Since your will to do the water changes you could get his 2” discus. My first group I did this way. I bought 2” but grew them to about 3” in a 45 qt tank. 6 than added them to 6 similar sized store bought discus. Grew that group of 12 up in a 125 planted tank. All went well but water changes were big and daily till 4-5”. So a lot of water. Bought a second group of 8 again at the 2” size and grew this group to around 4” in the 45. This took about 3 months and much less water than the 125. Than they moved into a 75 for a few months while i qt’d 4 Kenny’s discus in the 45. Both groups added to a 125 just before Christmas. Changing water every other day now.

Just an idea of what I did and am doing . They take time. I have most of what you’re planning to get and yes the only possible pigeons would be those red so ask Hans when buying. Good luck and waiting on pice of the new arrivals.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes. Fire Reds are pigeon blood.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Yes. Fire Reds are pigeon blood.
    Thanks! Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Remember as they are going to be smaller you will need to change more water. Most change daily at that size. So you may want to start your discus in a smaller tank. Making water changes easier and Less water. Plus give your 125 more time to cycle.
    Why did you have to say this?!? lol, Now I'm second guessing whether I should grow them out for a few months in the 75g and use the 125g as the water ageing station.

Speaking of cycling, I ordered another API Master Test Kit as mine was purchased in 2018.

I was finding it strange that my old kit was not showing nitrites after the drop in ammonia. Well, with the new test kit it shows my nitrites are pretty high. It looks like my cycle isn't complete even though it's showing some nitrates. Attached are the results using the new test kit and test strips. I'm hoping the cycle completes soon, I've moved a sponge filter from the clown loach tank into the 125g to see if it speeds it up.

IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    Last edited by FLBlue; 01-27-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol I have one from 03 and it tests the same as the new one . Go figure! Also funny how the color chart changes as the colors run out in the printer.

It’s just less water to change. A 75 would be great. Still lots of room and water for the fish. A 125 holding tank makes water changes easy too. You could do 2 a day. . Lol. If you go for the 2” they could be in the 75 for 3-4 months. And you could get off of that 13# and get 14 . I like the fact that your mixing up the types of discus. That’s what I do. Now your getting fish from many different hatches instead of all from 1. Makes the odds better for strong fish. Also by having all around the same age may keep from older ones being bullies. With 14 if some fall off you’ll still have a nice group. Seems there’s allway a straggler or 2.

Real Name
    Shan

Do not rush the cycle. I did this partially and regretted it hugely. Absolutely make sure you go through the 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs before purchasing the fish. Patience is key.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    It’s just less water to change. A 75 would be great. Still lots of room and water for the fish. A 125 holding tank makes water changes easy too. You could do 2 a day. . Lol. If you go for the 2” they could be in the 75 for 3-4 months. And you could get off of that 13# and get 14 .
    Well, I ended up stripping the black paint from the 75g and painting it white to grow out the fish. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the cycle to complete in the 125g, hoping it's soon as I've dumped quite a bit of filter squeezing from my established tank and have added more Fritz 7. Once it completes I'll move the filters over to the 75g.

75g White.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Do you have other tanks running? You know if you move used media over you can instantly start your tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12