AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Geophagus

Registered Member

Default Geophagus

I have searched the site and haven't seen any info on Geophagus (maybe I missed)..... good tank mates for discus. I would be interested on thoughts or recommendations

Registered Member

Default Re: Geophagus

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs62 View Post
    I have searched the site and haven't seen any info on Geophagus (maybe I missed)..... good tank mates for discus. I would be interested on thoughts or recommendations
    Maybe that says something

Real Name
    Francis

Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

I have 4 g. dicrozoster 9-10 inches and 4 g. abalios about 7 inches in a six foot tank with sandy bottom. I wouldn't put them with discus. Geos will need a sandy substrate for natural feeding habits and will out compete discus for food.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    R V

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Maybe that says something
    Instead of being snarky with you like captainandy, I will just say that it depends on the space you have and the amount of fish you wish to keep. It isn't a Geo but I do have some Electric Blue Acaras in with my Discus and there have zero issues. In fact my acaras are also somewhat eartheaters and they stir up the sand keeping it pretty clean.

maybe go for the tapajos or the Sveni variety of geos. They stay relatively small at 6"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevyvega927 View Post
    Instead of being snarky with you like captainandy, I will just say that it depends on the space you have and the amount of fish you wish to keep. It isn't a Geo but I do have some Electric Blue Acaras in with my Discus and there have zero issues. In fact my acaras are also somewhat eartheaters and they stir up the sand keeping it pretty clean.

maybe go for the tapajos or the Sveni variety of geos. They stay relatively small at 6"
    I was not being snarky, just very objective. You must be one of those kind of guys that feels good by putting me down. The post said cannot find info on keeping geos with discus. It is obvious to me since no one has written about it, its because no one does it. Chevyvwega? now that was some car. My wife drove one when we first met.
    Last edited by captainandy; 01-07-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Just saw this thread. I have been keeping a pair of Geo Tapajos with my Discus since I started keeping Discus last summer. So far all is well. The Geo's hang out on the bottom and the Discus are everywhere else. I've not witnessed any aggression at all between the two species. In fact, the Geo's have spawned multiple times since I started keeping Discus. They will get a little territorial when protecting their eggs or spawn, but not overly so ime. I think one of the advantages is that the Geo's will eat whatever food that falls to the bottom that my Discus turn their noses up too. Here's a picture of a recent spawn and the proud parents.
    GeoTaps Jan21 small.jpg

Registered Member

I've changed my mind on this and think that there is absolutely no reason to not keep other peaceful cichlids with discus. I've watched many Amazon River Discus Collection Videos and it not unusual to see geophagus and others collected at the same site.to
    Most people maintain discus for enjoyment and there's nothing wrong with mixing. Just remember to quarantine before mixing.
    To those who only focus on discus dogma as in this site - good for you - but its not everybody's cup of tea.
    I'm adding a pair of uarus myself

Registered Member

I know this is an older thread but I'd love to know the follow up on it. Did you successfully keep Geos long term with Discus, and out of sheer curiosity, how did the Uaru experiment go?