ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Discus is sick, please help!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Actually Abdiel is my real name, but my friends call me "Vilo"

Default My New Discus is sick, please help!!!

Attachment 130121Good morning All,

I would appreciate if someone would give me advice as to what to do to bring this Discus back to health.

Let me explain..

I own a 240 gallon tank that has been home for 11 Discus for the past year and a half. Recently I committed the cardinal sin of adding a pair of wild caught Discus to this already establish and pristine tank!

Now, I know I made a big mistake by adding these two fish with my Discus colony without quarantine them, I was going with the premises that since I know the LFS where I purchased them, and I have been keeping an eye on them for the past 3 months and they seemed to be fine, that I concluded quarantine was not necessary, "Big Mistake"[/U].

So, I purchased the 2 wild caught Discus on Friday afternoon, they looked fine. On Sunday Morning I noticed one of them had develop a small white growth on the left side of its head, this was concerning but I decided to monitor it to see if it goes away or if I should reach out for help. That same day, late afternoon I went to check on the fish and noticed that the little white growth had spread into 2 slightly bigger growths, so in my very natural reaction to stress I "freaked out" and started calling everyone I knew in my fish Club asking for advice, that's how landed here, one of the members who knew a member of Simply Discus put us in contact and I was referred to the website and now Im here pleading my case to you all!

Back to my problem...

The diagnosis I got then for my Discus white spot was that it was Discus Pimples. I was told this was nothing serious and with time and correction to the water quality would fix the problem. That there was no need to QT since all the other fish had been exposed and if this was something serious it was pretty sure that all the fish we exposed to it by now. So I put the affected Discus back in the tank. Oh, I forgot to mention that In my panic attack on Sunday evening receiving, overloaded with input from different sources, that I took the discus out of the tank and placed it in a QT and began treating with "All Cure", a product I got from Aquarium Coop, for the possibility of this being Hole-in-the-head.

Now, I have been doing water changes everyday since this episode started, but the infected area on this Discus head seems to be growing larger!

If someone here could please provide advice as to what this is and how to treat it I would very much appreciate it!

Sorry about the upside-down picture, I tried to fix it but my computer experience is very limited.

Very Respectfully,

Vilo.

hith1.jpg
    hith.jpg
    Last edited by jeep; 01-09-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: My New Discus is sick, please help!!!

Vilo, It would help us greatly if you would fill out this form: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

For everyone else, Vilo sent me pics of this when it was very minor and looked exactly like a Discus pimple. Obviously, this is not what I thought it was and now I'm at a loss. I don't know whether he should try Furan II, Kanamycin, or something else.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Vilo,Liz. The first pic is a discus pimple. Probably from the stress of moving and being added to the new tank. The next part is probably also related to stress. Now I would remove both fish and qt and see what happens. Does main tank have a uv steralizer? Better if it does but either way I would do a big water change. On qt I would change at least 50% daily and have the temp at 86 or better. See how that goes before medicating.

I don't know if he should go higher than 82. I'm afraid it's bacterial.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah no clue what that is but I’d get it out of the main tank ASAP!

He had it in QT and when I told him that it was just a pimple I told him that he should put it back in the main tank. The fact that it's not still in QT is my fault. He had a side shot of the "pimple" he emailed me where there was no doubt in my mind. I was wrong.

Lets see what Brian and Pat think.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

The first picture what look like HITH disease. This disease is internal with external signs(pimples) treated mostly with metro. The bottom picture I will
    agree with Liz looks like bacterial infestion. So you probably need an medication combine with metro. Because of your tank size it would be more cost effect and easier to place both Discus in a hospital tank till they are recovered.

Cliff

Real Name
    Brian

I would place it in QT and sun a salt treatment on them. 6-7TBS salt per 10g and daily 50% water changes with treated and aged water for 10 days. Furan 2 or nitrofurizone would be a good option as well.

If you don't have the meds on hand now, I would definitely begin with salt.

Registered Member

I think people are confused a pimple on the head is the same as hole in the head, once the pimple falls off what is left are holes or craters.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 01-08-2021 at 09:05 PM.

After all these years in Discus I didn't know that, Cliff.
    Mama Bear

After all these years in Discus I didn't know that, Cliff.

Vilo, these two pics are of the same fish, right?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name

Yes Ma'am, this is the only one.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Thank you all for the advise, I have separated the sick fish to a separate treatment tank and I'm starting the medications suggested.

Real Name
    Tom

Cliff I’ve had those pimples on some of my discus. Not just on the head but on other areas. Even the fins. For me it’s always been water quality. Once I changed the water a few times they were gone with no trace of ever being there. If you check the German Asian thread you’ll see one of mine had them all over it from a tank move. Looked like hell. 2 days later it was fine all pimples gone. These pimples I thought were stress related.

My advice to Vilo via email, before he joined the forum, was to change way more water. He'd only been changing 20% once a week! But a a couple of days after he started changing 50% daily those pimples developed into this! All the other fish in his tank seemed fine. One pair had even spawned. He showed me a video of the entire tank including the wild that had what looked like pimples.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast