AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 150 gallon cabinet build

Default Re: New 150 gallon cabinet build

Okay, whoever came up with backlit aquariums is a genius! Every single person that came one more day to help me move saw it setup and it was hard for me to get them back to work! The strip has 20 colors alone, then I can still play with those colors with the light that's going down. Also can fade or brighten them. 44 bucks plus a cheap roll of frosted roll.

Even my crew of discus appear to be..."whoooaaaa...". Hell, first time ever I saw one of my dogs top, set, and stare at it
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Brian

Very nice job on the wood! Nice build!!

Real Name
    Shan

yeah Looks so good! I'm also planning on doing a backlit setup with my 125 build. Are you using frosted glass too?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Thanks Brian! I've never milled my own trim before but my contractor buddy is teaching me after this weekend. I have skirt mold on top and bottom already but then making custom 2.25" corner mold and then a TBD profile for trimming out the doors.

Shan, DEFINITELY order inexpensive frosted roll off Amazon. PM me to remind me & I'll send link. I got the remote controlled, multi colored LED lights from Lowes for $44. (16ft long). I just love the idea because I could never figure out what background floated my boat
    -Elliot

-Elliot

Ugghhhh... why sideways??????? Sorry sorry... I didn't even turn my phone sideways this time!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

I like the backlight idea but would build sides behind the tank so spill over would not happen .If all around the tank was not lit up I think it would be more impacting ?
    I used to have 'shadow boxes' behind tanks with lighting and hardscape that never needed cleaning or grew algae ! Eventually the back glass will need to be cleaned which became a PIA for me ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Tom, I thought the exact same thing at first and said that to my wife and she told me, " don't you dare! It makes this portion of the house look like hey high-end Chicago cocktail bar and for some damn reason I love it"

It actually doesn't spread much further left or right because of walls. The wall on the left is a false wall that's only about 6ft long so it sort of breaks out that room from the rest of the downstairs. I can also feed them down or up in case at times it's too much for me. That said, I'm still going to clean it up a little bit by putting some wood trim that blocks the side view of where the LED lights are actually stuck to the top of the stand in the back so I can't see the actual light strip from any angle.

I just ordered hand overflow and 20 long for sump. I wanted the old school 30 gallon tank that is 36in long but I can't find them anywhere anymore. I barely found a 20 long right now. So in a few weeks I will start hooking up the sump can use mostly or at firm. I will also use plexiglass pieces I have and silicone in them and to the walls that will make the chambers. Please, if anyone has recommendations on my first sump then please let me know! But remember, I am still a jar Jarhead from the past and continue to eat my share of crayons from time to time, so hey keep it simple stupid schematic or explanation on layout would be big time appreciated by me! By the way, I will not be drilling through the bottom of a tank obviously. Someday I would like to do that but not with this Aquarium. Not only is it obviously set up, but that's something I want to practice on a much smaller scale because I usually screw up the first few times when learning something and, while I am confident in plumbing, I am fearful of water and drywall, wood floors, birch cabinets, and having my testicles attached to me without my wife threatening to detach

As for trimming out the corners, and the outer frames of the doors, I am going to learn for my carpenter buddy who is going to teach me how to route my own trim.

I'd like to source a pair of apisto. nijenssi or panduro if anyone knows a good source at this time who has them in stock. Apisto Dave only has one female Pandora. I've had other apistos from him in the past and they have been awesome but trying to find a pair of one of those particular apistogramma. Willing to pay a little more than what Dave usually prices but I really love how Dave has full confidence in shipping USPS. I know a lot of folks gripe about him but once you get what you order, it's worth it. He's not a bad dude although me and him had a blow up the very first time we did business together... he won... I ordered 2 pairs of borellis and 3 pairs showed up. I felt like a ginormous turd. It's also nice for fish that aren't discus to not have to pay discus shipping prices. I'll pay discus shipping prices for discus but not for other fish.
    -Elliot

20210405_021738.jpg

20210405_021746.jpg

I'm willing to bet after posting that I'll realize the new canopy can't be seen ... if so... I'll get daylight pics.

Still need to put doors and side-vertical trim on the sides. I'll also take pic of hard-plumbing from:

-under kitchen sink 3-way + ball valve connection that goes through (hidden)adjacent bottom cabinet sections and then into the wall where it goes outside.
    -a 3/4 inch 90 degree PVC connection hold one side of 3/4 inch pvc "bar" compromised off multiple ball valves for water going into 2 exterior aging barrels.
    -same bar also has output valves to push aged water towards other end of "bar"... to the other 90 degree connection back through wall and into house (chrome collars to make it clean and closed off to critters with help of caulking)...
    -back inside the input tube goes back into aquarium (for now... can I put it into sump?... anxiety trying to figure out multiple flow routes with pumps and head length)

ALSO:
    Simple, separate drain line that goes directly from tank (not drilled), out the wall (clean fits in clean holes), to submersible/ non-submersible option 2400 gph pump that I ended with a brass, standard garden hose adapter for watering raised beds and/or leading water into the woods

Not completing cabinet until sump is put in. Wanted to use at least 30 gallon long... but it leaked (was prior owned). I've repaired but still don't trust. Couldn't find any damn 30 gallons (new) for sale so I barely obtained a 20 gallon long. ... ... ... so.... yeah... I'll have a 20 gallon sump for a 150 gallon tank (still better than canisters IMO). Once again, nervous as sh** trying to figure out the damn math with water flow and smallest sump ever. I could DEFINITELY use any advice (and I've been researching like hell). Using PF-1000 for overflow... at this point it's not about building the sump system... it's about me getting smart AND growing some balls to build the damn thing with fail- safes in place so I don't flood the house
    -Elliot

Sump installed and running! ...but forgot to put protective membrane on the inner portion of cabinet (daaaaaamn't). I just don't want mold on the inside of cabinet. Pat even reminded me to do that and I still forgot

I'll still do it but.... dang it!
    -Elliot

I'll try to remember to take new pics tomorrow. I've installed a new sump, cabinet doors (due to new puppy who thought it was cool to sneak in and chew on poret foam & pvc plumbing), and more.
    -Elliot

Still a ways to go. But current status pics...20210906_185848.jpg

20210906_185859.jpg

20210906_185938.jpg

20210906_185946.jpg
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12