ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Default What is this?

Noticed this on my 'little guy' a couple weeks ago. Pic in left is today, pic on right was when I noticed it.
    Details:
    92 gallon Red Sea w/UV Sterilizer, estab x 3 years
    8 discus, 1 siamese algae eater, 4 rummy nose tetra
    Weekly (every 5-7 days) water change 35%
    Aged water, ph adjusted to 6.8, temp 86, 90% municipal water, 10% RO.
    Ph 6.8, neg ammonia, neg nitrites, < 5 nitrates, temp 86.
    No new fish added
    Diet is frozen blood worms, discus flakes 2x/daily. Occas froz mysis shrimp or froz beef heart
    Thought fin/tail rot, even though my aquarium is pristine. Removed purigen, then treated w/Melafix/Pimafix x1 week, no change. Have been giving Paraguard for 6 days, no change.
    Little fella has no other symptoms, no clamped fins, appetite is excellent, no excessive slime coat, is not being picked on by anyone, remains active and always greets me at the front of the tank when I come up. No other tank mates have any s/s of illness.
    I am an ED/Trauma RN, so of course I have a QT/hospital tank...lol.. I've successfully treated bloat, HITH, Velvet (on hubby's saltwater aquarium), external fungus, and a full thickness skin avulsion (in my other non-discus aquarium).
    I have many antibiotics on hand, but have been reluctant to use since 1) he doesn't act ill, 2) I didn't want to kill my nio-filter, and 3) I didn't want to stress him by throwing him in the hospital tank to administer antibiotics unless I was fairly confident it would work.
    Has anyone seen this? Is this what fin and tail rot looks like? This is the only area affected.
    Suggestions?
    Thank you in advance for your time 🤒
    Signed,
    Little Fella (and my worried human mom)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: What is this?

The initial pic looks like ammonia burns that often happen during shipping. How long have you had Little Fella? Was he shipped or picked up locally? There is evidence of regrowth in the second pic, but because of the shaggy edges it is uneven. Some folks here will trim damaged fins off with clean sharp scissors and the fins grow back nice and even.

Real Name
    Tom

Probably fin rot. You’ve had this fish for 3years? I’m going to say it’s your water changing. I think you need to do at least 50%. I’d also do it at least twice a week. I’d remove the fish. Put in qt add salt at 2 tbls per 10g. Keep the qt at 86 also. This should clear up within a week and be back to normal within a month. How are all the other discus? Pic of tank may help too.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The initial pic looks like ammonia burns that often happen during shipping. How long have you had Little Fella? Was he shipped or picked up locally? There is evidence of regrowth in the second pic, but because of the shaggy edges it is uneven. Some folks here will trim damaged fins off with clean sharp scissors and the fins grow back nice and even.
    Thank you for your response. Im not sure why I didn't receive it sooner, as I checked the box to recieve immediate notification. Regardless, I purchased Lil Fella about 3 yrs ago locally. I checked my water parameters and 0 ammonia. I've not had any ammonia or nitrites since I first set this aquarium up and cycled it over 3 years ago.
    Thinking maybe it was something organic, I took all my rocks out-took everything out-and did a thorough siphoning of the gravel. I didn't really find anything. Prob cause I periodically move everything to siphon anyways.
    Ive been treating him w/Paraguard... going on 2+ weeks. His top/bottom fins are evening out.... I'm hoping that is a good thing.. Lol. His tail still looks raggedy, but longer? He remains front and center when I approach the aquarium, his appetite is ferocious, and his counterparts don't pick on him. He and the others have been hanging out for more than a couple of years together.
    If he is actually improving (some days I'm sure he is, other days I'm second guessing myself), will his tail even out without me trimming it? Trimming it seems counterproductive, in that I'd be causing a wound... no?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Probably fin rot. You’ve had this fish for 3years? I’m going to say it’s your water changing. I think you need to do at least 50%. I’d also do it at least twice a week. I’d remove the fish. Put in qt add salt at 2 tbls per 10g. Keep the qt at 86 also. This should clear up within a week and be back to normal within a month. How are all the other discus? Pic of tank may help too.
    Thank you for your response. Yes, 3 years. When you recommend salt, we're talking aquarium salt, right? I only ask because many think Epson salt is a salt and it's not. The other discus are great. I 'think' Lil Fella might be improving...?? I keep second guessing myself. I'd love to post a current pic, as soon as I figure out how.. Lol.

Real Name
    Brian

Sodium chloride - any salt with no additives. Epsom salts is for constipation.

Real Name
    Tom

Posting pics: in the reply area: third icon on the right. The tree. Press that press photo library,pick pic than it will say actual size hit that and press large than post pic.

Real Name
    Daniel

Trimming the tail will not cause a wound. The idea is to just trim it back to a level where it is even and then it will grow back symetrically. Jeep, who posted above, has successfully done it numerous times and there are pics here somewhere of the regrowth process...
    Post #390 of this thread;
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=Tail+trimming

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

I'm not sure why it won't post my pics... just says upload of file failed, even as a jpg file..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Is, it necessary to trim it to be even?

Real Name
    Daniel

I'm not sure about that Dena, but what seems to be sure is that if you trim it it will grow back even. You can always watch and trim it later if need be...

Real Name
    Brian

Your photo's are too large. I'm drawing a blank on the max size, but I email them to myself and the email program automatically resizes them.

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Pretty sure the max size is 2Mb

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Thank you, Jeep, Dnkn and Iminit for your help in posting the photos. I did it as a time line, from now working back to 1/1. I used Melafix/Pimafix the first week, then 45% water change, then began Paraguard daily since 1/8...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast