ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is this?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    For me that fish looks way off from the discus I keep. It definitely has a fin problem. Looks like fin rot. I don’t know why. So because of that and still healthy fish in the tank I would remove. For me on the few times I’ve had a fin rot problem what cured it was more water changes and salt.
    Salt helps sometimes, but yours probably wasn't too far gone to become systemic and have fluid retention.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes if I see the start of fin rot or even if another fish has tore it fins I start changing water daily in main tank and that usually heals it. If not I remove and add salt. I have no idea how to tell water retention.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Resized_PhotoGrid_1611870572726_10536599475040.jpg
    The left pic is original appearance and the right is from today. Improved? Or worse??

Real Name
    Tom

Well that tough. Is the fish suppose to be dark blue or light blue? In the second pic his fins are growing back. But if he’s suppose to be light blue than by being so dark it’s stressing.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dena

Iminit... yes, he's normally a lighter blue. He appears dark because the lights weren't on and he was in a shadow. I have another one like him that isn't stunted that looked the same and isn't ill. I'm glad to hear you see an improvement in his fins, as I thought so, too.... but I always second guess myself.

Real Name
    Mervin

To me the fins look like they were starting to heal in the first pic and the second looks like there are indeed growing out. But it is a stunt and won't live that long; they never do. A runt is a bit different and are just a smaller fish without over sized eyes. It will always look not right (sickly) with those over sized eyes and dark color. Your fish, do as you wish. But for me it would be a waste of time and more misery for the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I would up water change amount and frequency and try salt or potassium permanganate baths /dips ..
    Being a runt it is a special needs type fish and will need extra help and maybe not respond like a typical healthy fish .
    The mela fix is a true waste IMO . Paraguard is basically Malachite green and proprietary secrets ..
    The proprietary ingedient is glutaraldehyde, it is a disinfectant similar.to formalin. It us used more.as a chemical to sterilize medical equipment but is also used topically.

Tammy

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Tkuilderd View Post
    The proprietary ingedient is glutaraldehyde, it is a disinfectant similar.to formalin. It us used more.as a chemical to sterilize medical equipment but is also used topically.

Tammy
    Glutaraldehyde can also be used to rid algae and also used as CO2 replacement in planted tanks. SeaChem Excel is much the same, but much cheaper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123