AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wild Green

Registered Member

Default Wild Green

I have a 100 gallon aquarium with a 2 year old domestic hybrid discus a pair of angels and a school of cardinals. 3 months ago I was offered a wild green discus a a "rescue". The previous owner had "him" for 8 months and was feeding frozen blood worms. He claimed that they (he originally had 2 and subsequently lost 1) were dewormed and quarantined. The fish was "rail thin" when I got him. I didn't have a quarantine tank and do not have a hospital tank, so in he went into the display. He colored up immediately, seemed attentive and was even chasing the angel pair around. He didn't eat however. He would watch the food go down and inspected it. Once in a while I would see him picking at the driftwood. Two months went by and all of a sudden he started eating. He doesn't want anything to do with FBW, but he started eating frozen brine shrimp voraciously. Next thing he accepted was FD tubifex, FD blackworms and finally my beef heart mix. I was so happy that he had turned the corner and was looking forward to him putting on weight. Sometime last week, he stopped eating altogether. Still showing aggression towards the angels but does not come to the front at feeding and does not even look at food. My other fish in the tank are acting and eating normally. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Wild Green

My initial thoughts, at first I saw a couple things that I wouldn't call red flags but definitely some things that would have concerned me and probably made me avoid the rescue.... BUT, seeing you being disciplined and making him eat more of variety is no small feat in my book. Also, him keeping the Angel's at bay is also positive to me (full grown angels? ).

Keep at it... but also post pics of him once a month because it will help you see weight gain over time (it will "creep" IF he gains weight (IME)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Yes, they are mature, large angels.
    Still not eating. Doesn't show interest in food at all. It's not like before. I tried to observe his poop but I haven't seen him pooping. Only thing I see is he twitches his dorsal fin once in a while and the breathing maybe elevated. I'm seriously considering ordering levamisole. Really don't like treating entire setup blindly.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ttan02 View Post
    Yes, they are mature, large angels.
    Still not eating. Doesn't show interest in food at all. It's not like before. I tried to observe his poop but I haven't seen him pooping. Only thing I see is he twitches his dorsal fin once in a while and the breathing maybe elevated. I'm seriously considering ordering levamisole. Really don't like treating entire setup blindly.
    Hi, can you move it to a hospital tank. I think deworming is a good first step.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks Pat, is there any disadvantage to treating the entire set up?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ttan02 View Post
    Thanks Pat, is there any disadvantage to treating the entire set up?
    I would suggest doing a little research on the other fish in the tank to ensure they can handle the meds.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening