ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water quality/brown algae

Registered Member

Default Water quality/brown algae

I've been having brown algae grow in my tank ever since it started, tank is 6 months old and all discus are healthy except for a blue diamond with constipation, which I hear is common for blue diamonds. I've tried going a month with less light time, no difference. Tried doing extra water changes every other day as opposed to twice a week and no change. I have two bristlenose plecos. What else shall I try to remedy the situation?
    Last edited by Wubatubbub; 01-11-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Water quality/brown algae

Quote Originally Posted by Wubatubbub View Post
    I've been having brown algae grow in my tank ever since it started, tank is 6 months old and all discus are healthy except for a blue diamond with constipation, which I hear is common for blue diamonds. I've tried going a month with less light time, no difference. Tried doing extra water changes every other day as opposed to twice a week and no change. I have two bristlenose plecos. What else shall I try to remedy the situation?
    Are you sure all the brown stuff isn't pleco poop?

Things to try:
    Less light
    More water changes
    More substrate vacuuming
    Less food
    More plants (anubias, java fern, etc)
    Some Amano shrimp

At some point, you will hit the magic combo of the above factors and will be balanced enough to keep brown algae at bay.

Real Name
    Mervin

In new tanks some will get the most primitive diatom algae first especially if silica substrate is used. It should soon be gone on it's own after a higher form of green algae will appear. It also grows best in low light tanks so decreasing light won't work well.

I agree with Mervin. It lasts a good while but will eventually go away on it's own. I didn't know about green algae out competing it, but it makes sense.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Is it brown that coats everything or dark patches with filaments.

Real Name
    Mervin

Just a side note: Altho, a tank cycles in about 4-6 weeks it can take about 6 months to become established well. With time even the BB that cling to surfaces are touch as tooth plaque. The surface of the class looks smooth to the eye but microscopically is not.