AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Breeding schedule

Registered Member

Default Breeding schedule

I have a breeding pair, first successful batch was when I raised fry artificially as per Cliff's guideline.

Literally a next day after I moved out eggs they again spawn. In a second batch free swimmers successfully had attached to parents and after 3 weeks I get 35 fry and decide to moved them to separated tank without parents.

Few days after parent got some privacy without kids they laid eggs again :-)

Should I allow them to have another fry? I'm asking since raising fry and creating mucus might be very hard and burdening their body. Is it safe? Should they pause?

What is your experience with breeding continuation?

Registered Member

Default Re: Breeding schedule

First of all, consider yourself lucky. Its as if I said I have too much money and I don't know what to do with it

I f you are running out of space you might advertise locally because there may be hobbyists who are more than willing to raise the fry

What are your water conditions and how old are the pair. You must be doing something right so please share

Registered Member

I haven’t mentioned that another pair is breeding every Friday in the community tank.

I have gave away first batch when they were 2 months old for local hobbyists to free some space. As during covid I’m working from home, so I don’t mind to spend some more time to focus on raising fry. It’s really rewarding to see them growing. I wonder how many times it might happen. Two, three ... five. Can they raise fry so many time in a row?

Regarding water conditions ... nothing really extraordinary. I do 60-80% WC every other day from tap via HMA filter (no conditioner).
    TDS 70
    Ph 7.2
    KH 4dH
    Gh 5dH
    Temp 83F

I'd remove the eggs when they are laid. You're right. Raising fry is hard on the parents spawning alone is not.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I had females spawn up to 19 times, sometimes they spawn weekly so I would mark the calendar ahead of the spawning date. Every spawn doesn't
    mean a success they male might have a headache or the female may have a bad hair day. Both male and female need a rest sometimes, the male
    needs to build up his sperm count. I also need to rest as space keeps running out, but I need to pay the rent. Question about mucus production?
    Lower the ph to around 6, the Discus will produce more slime. Also remove fry early from the parents, relief for the breeding pair but not for the hobbyist.

Hope this will help!
    Cliff

Registered Member

Interesting observation from my breeding pair. As I mentioned before they use to have eggs very often and predictable.
    I keep pairs with fry for three weeks, than separated them. Usually parents didn’t wait long for a new spawn - max few days.

As I went short with tanks .. I split one tank with a sponge. Parents with a corn on left, fry on right side. Surprisingly no new eggs for two weeks.

I reshuffle some tanks and move a pair to their own tank. Next day I saw the eggs.