ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stendker discus question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Default Stendker discus question

Hi,
    I acquired 2 Stendker Discus from their subsidiary in the USA three months ago. One is a Pigeon blood blue and the other is a Blue Scorpion. They were supposed to be 3 inches at the time of purchase.*
    The Blue scorpion was much smaller than the pigeon blue at the time they arrived. Now two months later, the scorpion has grown a lot, maybe 4 inches, and has developed some very dark cobalt colors ( not turquoise like their website, however it is still an attractive fish).
    The pigeon blue did not grow at all, not the slightest, on the contrary it seems to have shrunken, and the nice color it arrived with ( red lines and yellow face) are almost gone. Instead it turned almost white and its body has elongated (starting to look stunted).*
    This pigeon blue was initially bullied by the little scorpion guy it came with, so I placed a partition which created peace again ( they are now with my other bigger fish who ignore them both).
    I am wondering what may have caused the pigeon blue fish to stop growing and why the color disappear and turned almost white? It’s not a very active fish either, it doesn’t look sick but it’s just very slow, and sort of blah.
    I emailed both the US seller a few weeks ago and later Stendker in Germany to find out what I could do to help but I never heard back from either.
    This is the first time I buy discus from them and so far they are not looking much like the fish on their site ( they do provide photography of fish growth and what they should look like a different stages https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en_e...Farbschlaege/# ), nor are they the most outgoing friendly fish, and they don’t seem to provide advice or support either. I have other discus from breeders recommended in this forum and they grew very big and beautiful and healthy. I am hoping the Stendker will do the same.
    thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daphne; 01-18-2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: edited picture

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Stendker discus question

How does the blue one look now? As for the pigeon it may be genetics. Heres one of mine that did the same thingECD34E69-7C2D-4493-A15A-21769927BD46.jpg. Center in front of wood

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    How does the blue one look now? As for the pigeon it may be genetics. Heres one of mine that did the same thingECD34E69-7C2D-4493-A15A-21769927BD46.jpg. Center in front of wood
    Oh wow, it looks just like mine in size and shape. Is it the same age as the other fish around him in your tank? and also from a Stendker too? Beautiful tank and fish by the way
    My Blue scorpion looks good, just different color that their growth chart (mine is more of a purple/cobalt blue instead of a turquoise), I posted the picture from last week. This is what their website points to in terms of color evolution for the blue scorpion:
    https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/Farbschlage-gb/SnFl/
    My blue scorpion looks more colorful, so it's a happy surprise. Just sad about the pigeon.
    thumbnail3.jpg

Registered Member

Your Blue Scorpion looks much like my Blue Scorpion. At 2 1/2 years my BS has grown to 7 inches. As you well know different strains and sexes grow to different sizes. Your BS appears to be a femaile so many be smaller than my 7 inches male in a few more years. The other fish if it has changed color I have it happen to my Red Alenquer fish. They are very red when I get them now not so much red.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Thanks, good to know about the BS. I happen to like the color, I expect it to change even more since it’s still young. Is it possible to tell the gender so soon? I suspect it’s about 6 months old based on the breeder’s growth chart (https://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/...sfische_en.pdf)

Registered Member

Quick question. What did you buy the "blue scorpion" as? Stendker doesn't have that strain. Did you buy it as a Cobalt or a Flanchen Snakeskin?

Real Name
    Tom

Yes they are all around the same age. The one above and to the right is the same type and also smaller than the rest. But still better body shape. Where did you get yours?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by andicca View Post
    Quick question. What did you buy the "blue scorpion" as? Stendker doesn't have that strain. Did you buy it as a Cobalt or a Flanchen Snakeskin?
    I purchased it as Flachen Snakeskin ( solid x snakeskin), that’s the one I saw referred to as blue scorpion. Here is the link for the breeder’s site color evolution for that variety ( https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/Farbschlage-gb/SnFl/ ) ... mine just look bluer I guess.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Yes they are all around the same age. The one above and to the right is the same type and also smaller than the rest. But still better body shape. Where did you get yours?
    Discus Hans, From what I saw on the Stendker website, it is their subsidiary in the USA.

Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by andicca View Post
    Here is where I saw the name blue Scorpion for that strain, scroll down, towards the bottom of the page: http://www.discusparadise.com/en/pho...scus-stendker/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Your Flachen definitely looks like the ones on their website, whereas the one I purchased from Hans Discus looks like your store bought one.

Real Name
    Tom

Mine are also from Hans. These are not the first I’ve seen like this. As 2.5” discus my guy looked greatFB84F261-ECE0-4D70-BB0C-158FAFC91722.jpg. As you can see the rest came out fine. So I’m thinking genetics.

Real Name
    Tom

Well they do look close but yours has the Stendker hump on it’s head. Mine does not.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    Your Flachen definitely looks like the ones on their website, whereas the one I purchased from Hans Discus looks like your store bought one.
    What would you call the one your purchased at the store? Cobalt? Or also blue Scorpion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast