ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 220 Gallon Journey.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Default New 220 Gallon Journey.

Hello, I am brand new to this forum, I live in Ontario Canada, not new to fishkeeping, been doing it off and on for years including marine tanks. This however will be my first Discus experience and build. So I plan on hopefully getting a 220Gallon (72.3"×25.3"×23.6") rimless tank with a sump filtration system. I would like to keep this thread going to show progress of the build as well as get questions answered.

So my first question is about humidity:

The tank will be in a finished basement, the room it will be in is a fair size 20ft x11ft (Approx 220 square feet). The tank will be moved up against the back wall. I have an air return on the opposite wall of the tank that is placed close to the floor. The heating/cooling register is in the ceiling in the middle of the room. I also have a small basement window that will be close to the tank (although it is usually never opened). Apart from replacing the receptacles behind the tank with GFCI's I was wondering if I should paint the wall behind the tank with Zero VOC humidity paint, as well as the ceiling around the aquarium area.
    What are your opinions on this, should I bother?

PS: I am going to bring down a humidity monitor to see what the current humidity level is in the basement, I am sure it is quite dry as never feels humid.

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: New 220 Gallon Journey.

1. You won't be able to do any painting - even zero VOC formulas - after getting fish so now is the best time.
    2. With that much surface area exposed, humidity is going to be a major problem as discus tanks run 82 - 84F. You may need a whole basement dehumidifier. These are pricey, but will go a long way to maintaining home values, and marital harmony.
    3. I have GCFI receptacles in my fish room, but have regrets because some are difficult to reach. If I had a do-over, I would install GCFI circuit breakers which are much easier to reset.
    4. Discus need water changes so you'll need to make provisions to do them in a 220-gallon tank. Instead, consider starting your discus in much smaller tanks, maybe a 40-Breeder, and move them into the big tank as adults.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Willie for your response , so then I should get the painting done on the back wall and ceiling area. As for Humidifier, I currently do have one but have never needed it, its a fair sized one that I can fire up if the need arises. The tank stand has an open back area so I am hoping it should not interfere with access to the receptacles. As for the water changes I am going to build a fish room under the stairs and have a water transfer pump that will facilitate with the water changes. Hot/Cold water supply as well as a main drain are just a few feet away.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Paul, a separate consideration is to ensure the tank and stand will be level both side to side and back to front.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Paul, a separate consideration is to ensure the tank and stand will be level both side to side and back to front.
    Pat
    Thank you yes, the floor is a laminate so no carpet and the cabinet does have level adjustments along with a leveling mat that will be between the tank and stand.

I hope to start working on the project next month starting with the plumbing access and drain.. hope to have the tank delivered by end of Feb.. I contacted some paint companies to start with painting the back wall and ceiling with moisture resistant paint. (Zero VOC) non toxic stuff.

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome Paul .
    I look forward to watching your progress.
    So much time to plan have you decided on your source for the fish ?
    There some sellers in Canada that did maybe still do get Piwowarski discus ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi CoralBandit,

Thanks, yes this is going to be the largest tank I have ever owned, so the logistics of it require some significant planning. The first challenge is actually getting the glass tank down into the basement, as empty it weights 470 LBS, 19mm Starphire glass with no center bracing (rimless)! So I am hiring a team of pro's that are used to moving large heavy glass objects. The second challenge is building a small "Pump" room if you want to call it that, this will be in a small closet type room under the basement stairs next to the tank. I have a rough in there already for drain, hot and cold water. I will be building a wooden bench with a laundry tub, two reservoir water bins underneath as well as an isolation/quarantine tank. I also have a rough sketch for water change system using a series of valves and 1 external water transfer pump. I plan on installing a quick connect fitting in the main room close to the display tank, this will allow for the attachment of hook shaped plumbing arm that will be placed over the side of the tank when its time for a water change. With the valves set to pull water out, old water will go straight into the laundry tub, I would then reverse the valves and clean, pre-treated water from the reservoir will go into the main thank. I then detach the external plumping with the quick disconnect and call it a day. Once I start the physical work I will start posting pictures of the progress.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Is it safe to paint the ceilings with zinsser Perma-White PRIOR to setting up the tank? I understand that painting once the tank is in place is risky. However is there any risk post painting to using this particular product which is easily available in my area? I plan on painting the ceiling above the tank with this paint and want to ensure it does not release any chemicals down the road weeks after drying since it contains a mildewcide. Right now the humidity level in my basement is only 42% but it is winter and cold in Ontario Canada.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/931ml...aint/p/1853284

I was then planning on using this paint for the wall behind the aquarium as it can be tinted the exact same color as the existing SW paint that is on the wall: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...-acrylic-latex

Any advice much appreciated thanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

So this cool gadget would work to vent out my little 588 CFoot pump room into the main room: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JN8411P/...mcd_asin_1_img

Then this bad boy will be used in the main display tank room to tie into an existing accessible duct and vent out of the house: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074XBXFPD/...v_ov_lig_dp_it at its current rating at full speed it will change all the air in the main display tank room in 4 min. Both units are thermostatically or humidity controlled and can trigger at a set point of humidity. Sweet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

So this arrived today, first piece of equipment related to the project. Humidity Extraction Fan.. this guy can do 402 CFM's.. with the main room around 1650 CF this unit should be able to turn over the whole room in 4min.

ACFinityT6.JPG
    ACFinityT6Fan.JPG

Real Name
    Shan

Damn that's insane. Noise levels?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Barely noticeable at normal low levels, but it will keep ramping up if it cannot bring the levels down fast enough to what sounds like a turbine. Keep in mind this is controlled via an external sensor that will trigger at set humidity levels, so it would only kick in if it needs to. The room it will be in has sound proof batting, so it should not be too bad. Will post some pics once I have it installed, still waiting for more parts to come in.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Okay so humidity controls nearly taken care off, ceiling was painted with Perma-White Mould and Mildew proof paint and the Infinity Tseries humidity extraction fan installed. I just have to install the sensor (waiting for a 20 foot cable for it) and the programmable controller in the room.

IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Nice job. Looks professional and clean af
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Nice job. Looks professional and clean af
    Thanks, will post some progress once I have the controller installed... next now is to start building the water change plumbing..hoping order the aquarium potentially next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast