AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Picking discus in case they might pair-off

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Picking discus in case they might pair-off

I am going to set-up another discus tank this year, it will be some time off as I don't have the tank yet. I am interested if anyone picks discus in their group based on the possibility that they might pair in the future? I am thinking that having a large variation in strains might result in some unattractive fry. On the extreme side of the this question I find same strain tanks to be attractive.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Picking discus in case they might pair-off

That's the main way I choose a group of juvies to buy and grow out. But I only pick out 2 strains to grow out together at a time. Strains that I predict could have nice fry. For example, I've grown out Flachens and Santarems, Santarems and red snakeskins and Fire reds and Pigeon snakeskins. I managed to get pairs from each cross and they turned out nice.
    However, never mix pigeon and non pigeon. If they pair up, you will get a lot of ugly fry.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: Picking discus in case they might pair-off

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    That's the main way I choose a group of juvies to buy and grow out. But I only pick out 2 strains to grow out together at a time. Strains that I predict could have nice fry. For example, I've grown out Flachens and Santarems, Santarems and red snakeskins and Fire reds and Pigeon snakeskins. I managed to get pairs from each cross and they turned out nice.
    However, never mix pigeon and non pigeon. If they pair up, you will get a lot of ugly fry.
    I see more tanks in my future.