AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Anxiety

Registered Member

Default Anxiety

I have pretty anxiety for years now. Recently, every little inner body feeling I have I over exaggerate it to be the worst possible outcome, this mainly being chest pain and when I become really dizzy that also freaks me out a lot. I was just wondering what the best approach to treating this would be. Do you have any tips?

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Anxiety

Breathing, talking about it, patience, and time. A lot of time. Time to give yourself space to settle while understanding that it is perfectly normal to feel this way. Time in the long run to give yourself tools that only serve you in your specific anxiety hurt. Understanding that one day it WILL be manageable and that no matter what to never lose that sense of a better tomorrow.

As anxious as one might feel today, time and patience will always make it less overwhelming
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

There are anxiolytics (medications to reduce anxiety) available, but I would advise seeing a good counselor first to see if you can get some insight into what is causing it. What you are describing are panic attacks in addition to your underlying anxiety which are addressed by a different group of medications, either beta blockers or to a lesser degree certain calcium channel blockers. You can usually get your PCM to give you those to either eliminate or at least minimize the panic attacks which are terribly distressing and can on occasion be dangerous. I would recommend you see your family doctor ASAP to see if you are having panic attacks as well as arranging for some counseling and possibly anti-anxiety medications for your underlying anxiety.

Be more active. Exercise, meditation, and cold showers can help to cope against anxiety. Find someone to talk to, your family, friends.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    There are anxiolytics (medications to reduce anxiety) available, but I would advise seeing a good counselor first to see if you can get some insight into what is causing it. What you are describing are panic attacks in addition to your underlying anxiety which are addressed by a different group of medications, either beta blockers or to a lesser degree certain calcium channel blockers. You can usually get your PCM to give you those to either eliminate or at least minimize the panic attacks which are terribly distressing and can on occasion be dangerous. I would recommend you see your family doctor ASAP to see if you are having panic attacks as well as arranging for some counseling and possibly anti-anxiety medications for your underlying anxiety.
    Agree. I would add that for immediate relief, IMO there is no medication that is a better anxiolytic - especially for panic attacks, then marijuana.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    Be more active. Exercise, meditation, and cold showers can help to cope against anxiety. Find someone to talk to, your family, friends.
    sounds like a good idea but this usually does not work during the phase of acute symptoms. Its like telling someone in the midst of a heart attack to start to diet and exercise more

Real Name
    Fritz

As a nurse I would recommend seeking some professional guidance. The other suggestions are not bad. But you need help homey.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Registered Member

cbd extract

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Folks, for some CBD or Marijuana might be helpful but the relationship with anxiety and panic attacks is complex and at times either causes or makes symptoms worse (marijuana induced panic attacks are well described in medical literature). Given your description of your symptoms, I strongly urge you to seek professional help. See your PCM both to immediately address your panic attack symptoms (and confirm that they are indeed panic attacks) and to assist you with arranging counseling, the other recommendations are good for chronically coping but work better with counseling.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Folks, for some CBD or Marijuana might be helpful but the relationship with anxiety and panic attacks is complex and at times either causes or makes symptoms worse (marijuana induced panic attacks are well described in medical literature). Given your description of your symptoms, I strongly urge you to seek professional help. See your PCM both to immediately address your panic attack symptoms (and confirm that they are indeed panic attacks) and to assist you with arranging counseling, the other recommendations are good for chronically coping but work better with counseling.
    I disagree. I do not feel that most primary care doctors have the time to explore the depth of your anxiety and will offer you meds with little follow up. In fact, most of the time you get a nurse practitioner. For real professional help you should start with a shrink.
    I also disagree with the THC comments. All negative reports are rarely found in the scientific literature about marijuana inducing panic attacks. Certain strains can cause some mild anxiety so the individual learns to avoid them. And the side effects of benzodiazepines are much, much worse than THC.

By the way, how many patients with general anxiety disorders or panic attacks have you treated with cannabis?
    In addition I am shocked by how many uninsured people there are. And most with insurance likie Advantage Plans or HMOs have crappy policies and indifferent medical staff.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Moreetta, simply put my recommendation is go see your doctor to make sure nothing more than anxiety and panic attacks are causing your symptoms, and if panic attacks are confirmed they can give you safe medications to control those symptoms. Then if you want they can help you find a counselor who can help you address your anxiety and if they and you feel that non medication techniques are not helping enough your counselor works with either a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner who can discuss using either over the counter or prescribed medications to help you.

Andy, I really do not want to get into a different perspectives on how medicine is or is not practiced but a couple of points

Panic attacks have a differential diagnosis that needs to be evaluated and confirmed, and in my experience PCMs whether physicians or NPs better address panic attacks than psychiatrists.
    I am not suggesting that the PCM try and manage the anxiety disorder primarily, but some plans require evaluation prior to being able to see a mental health professional, and also many patients want advice regarding competent mental health professionals. I am guessing this patient has not established a relationship with such, and in fact I would not per se immediately recommend a psychiatrist. CBT is considered first line intervention, not any medication.

Since you asked I have treated no patients with anxiety disorders severe enough to require medication with CBD/cannabis. Frankly not my role as a family practice MD. On the other hand your out of hand dismissal of literature addressing the adverse effects of marijuana is inaccurate and misleading, not sure why you are so invested in jumping to CBD/Cannabis first. I have used for chronic pain and nausea associated with cancer so I do not reflexly reject this as beneficial and I have seen it used with anxiety disorders under the supervision of a PNP, when medication is required. I do not endorse patients going out and trying it without having set up counseling and at least discussing more conventional anxiety medications with competent medical professionals. Just FYI Benzos are rarely if ever used for anxiety any more and certainly are not first line medications.