AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Wonderous Discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Intelligent Wonderous Discus!

My heart has just grown Ten times for a new Snow White Discus Juvie I received via the mail. I just have to share! ..... Yesterday afternoon I received a shipment of 7 juvies. Unfortunately it turned out to be a difficult cold trip for them as their heat pad had long since dissipated. They were hardly moving as I pulled each bag out of the box. An Alenquer had turned very dark from the stress of it all. I was just sad but the worst was yet to come.

Having counted the bags and seeing only six I became even more disappointed for they had forgotten one of my Discus.
    So I thought. As I pulled the sixth bag out there lay the 7th. Snow White had some how ended up sideways underneath the other bags. I pulled her out as she still laid sideways not moving, not flinching. I thought she was dead for a second until I observed her breathing and I then felt my self breathe ...a sigh of relief.

I put her in with the others in their qtn tank and just hoped she would recover but she immediately just fell to the bottom of the tank and laid there.
    I feared for her..she really had taken a beating. Wanting to not stress them all further I left them alone and turned out the lights. When I checked an hour later I was happy for lo and behold Snow White had managed to perch herself upright on a lg rock.

But then another mishap followed. I just was beyond my self! The filter stopped working! The tank is small so I didn't want to have them suffer with bad water but I had to move the rock out of the tank to make room for the new larger spare filter I had.

With trepidation, as I moved the rock Snow White tumbled onto the sand and laid there unable to move. I felt like I had just put the nails in her coffin and almost had a melt down right then and there!

Today she sadly laid in the same spot all day, breathing with her gills moving heavily. Sometimes I would catch a glimpse of the other Discus seeming to encircle her and look down at her as if to say "hang in there! You can make it!"

A fish friend came over today and tried to comfort me. Ah didn't work! he told me he didn't think there was a chance she would make it! She looked bad!

Bedtime arrived tonight and I went over to put some aquarium salt in their tank before retiring and to my great joyous surprise she was tooling around in the tank giving it a good ole try.. to swim that is..for she didn't last long but I actually think she was looking for a place to once again prop herself up.. cause oh my heavens.. she managed to wedge herself upright between an extended section of the filter and the tank glass. And there she now sits.

Now I will be utterly heart broken if she doesn't make it! How she figured out that spot..the only spot.. in the entire tank is just proof that discus have intelligence of sorts!
    I see fish in a whole other light now because of her. I don't know if I can ever eat another fish again! Oh geez! Do Discus feel Love?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Intelligent Wonderous Discus!

Hoping for the best for your discus! Hopefully she comes out of her stress. How big is she?

Real Name
    Brian

I'm sorry to hear this. Depending on how low the temp got, it may recover. I hope you acclimated them buy floating the bags rather than just dropping them in. This would be less of a shock. In the mean time, try adding 1 cap full of hydrogen peroxide and 2TBS salt per 10g. Keep lights off and give it time.

Poor fish. Were they lost in transit? Most of us ship Discus only overnight and use heat packs that last 72 hrs. just in case it takes longer.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thank you for your replies! She is about 3". And yes I floated them before adding them. I added salt but did not know about the Hydrogen peroxide! Thanks Again!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Hi Liz~ No they were not lost in transit.. Just carelessly packed. Their trip lasted about 30 hours. But the heat pack was stone cold as was their water. So I doubt the heat pack was in working order when put in the box. I was very upset. They came from California and I am in Wa state. They are a well known company that I have seen referred to many times on this site but they are not listed in the 'Sponsors list'. Now I know why. Fish are a nice size for the cost but one Alenquer is very stressed. Has been dark since I pulled him out of the box and only goes light for a short time periodically.
    Thanks for replying to my thread. I am new to keeping Discus and appreciate all the help!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Yay!! The Snow White Juvie is swimming around now. Way more active then the others! She's a bit off her game..as to be expected, but I think she is over the worst!
    Now I just have to worry about the dark Alenquer! He has tremors and is dark most of the time and will lighten up periodically but not for long. I read that the tremors are a result of a very highly stressed Discus so I am trying to stay away and keep lighting very low.
    I want to do a water change but am worried that it may put him over the edge!
    Any advice is very welcomed!

Real Name
    Tom

Well I hope you told them that the heat pack and fish were cold on delivery. 30hrs is about right for overnight delivery. Well I hope they’re doing better. Have you feed them yet?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Hi Tom! Yes I told them! I wanted to scold them as well for putting the Snow White juvie under the others. I am 85% sure she did not slip under. her bag was fully horizontal. Wanted to site Discus Cruelty! With my complaint to them I also sent them a photo of the discus in the tank w the white on her side on the bottom and the very dk Alenquer and they responded with.."Awesome photo" and that was all they said.
    I have fed them. Some are nibbling a bit.
    Thanks for inquiring!

Real Name
    Francis

Salt can also assist osmoregulation problems and help clear congested gills as well as supporting fish suffering from stress. One to two Tablespoon per 10 gallons.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

You can post feed back about your experience here. Post the pics, too. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...estock-Reviews
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetopal View Post
    Yay!! The Snow White Juvie is swimming around now. Way more active then the others! She's a bit off her game..as to be expected, but I think she is over the worst!
    Now I just have to worry about the dark Alenquer! He has tremors and is dark most of the time and will lighten up periodically but not for long. I read that the tremors are a result of a very highly stressed Discus so I am trying to stay away and keep lighting very low.
    I want to do a water change but am worried that it may put him over the edge!
    Any advice is very welcomed!
    "Dark" comes in may shades and perceptions. I have two Alenquer that are "dark" most of the time and only sometime lighter. I have one Ica Red who is medium brown all of the time. Stress bars are more indicative of stress with Alenzuers, in my opinion, than overall darker shading. If the fish is eating you may be okay but watch the fish for signs just the same.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks Liz!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Peewee1~ That is so good to know about 'Alenquers' coming in different shades! I was starting to wonder but was thrown off by the other Alenquer being the very same size yet many shades lighter.
    And it has been 5 days since receiving them and none of the discus are very interested in eating except for the Melon juvie. I have tried all kinds of food. Saw the lighter shade Alenquer nose-butt a small chunk of Beef heart all the way to the corner and leave it there.
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Tom

Ok now tell us about your tank. Size,temp,test results. Have you changed your water since getting them? Pictures help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast