AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help w Tank Changes w Lower PH

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Re: Need Help w Tank Changes w Lower PH

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    A gradual ph change does not seem to bother fish but a drastic one can. You figured out that a stable ph between 6.5 and 8.5 is okay. Maybe small water changes done everyday through out the week would keep the ph swing to a minimum?
    Ok! yes! Lately thats what I've been doing ..25-35% WC every day..and your right... they don't seem to be bothered. I just would like to be able to do a larger WC for them

Registered Member

My opinion is 100% per week changing at the rate of once per day. I have been using that schedule for 2 .5 years. Others will have an opinion but I think you do not need to increase to more than 35% day and even consider changing to less, not more.

Real Name
    Willie

Back when we used to train Technical Service managers, we had a mantra about trouble shooting. To wit, measure, measure, measure. You can't tell anything by looking at it.

People do what's convenient for them, not necessarily what's ideal for the fish. The only way to know what is the appropriate water change rate is to measure nitrates over time. While nitrate is not the only important parameter, it's likely the best indicator of changes in water quality.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Back when we used to train Technical Service managers, we had a mantra about trouble shooting. To wit, measure, measure, measure. You can't tell anything by looking at it.

People do what's convenient for them, not necessarily what's ideal for the fish. The only way to know what is the appropriate water change rate is to measure nitrates over time. While nitrate is not the only important parameter, it's likely the best indicator of changes in water quality.

Thanks for the necessary reminder Willie! Keeping track of Nitrates for water quality changes should be a no brainer! Ha Ha... us new ones get so caught up in the hub Bub of strategizing our Ph pattern when we should be paying more attention to consistant nitrates/trites patterns. Especially when growing out young ones who just want to eat eat eat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12