AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Planned QT regime

Default My Planned QT regime

So reading some of the sticky’s plus many videos etc on you tube and I’ve decided on my QT regime.

1. On receipt and before going into QT a Meth Blue Bath (30mins).
    2. Into QT tank with a small background dose of salt. Likely 1mg / 10g.
    3. I won’t feed for first 24hrs.
    4. Day 2 feed once
    5. Day 3 feed twice
    6. I will be doing 50% water changes over first 3 days and replacing relevant salt level.
    7. Day 4 I will introduce PP.
    8. Once no longer active I will strip with Hydrogen Perixide followed by 50% water change.
    9. Day 5 I will be Metro daily dose for tank plus adding to food which I
    Will now increase to 3 times daily. I will run this for 10days.
    10. Day 15 treatments will be complete and I willl up feedings to 5 or six times per day with 50% water changes to grow the fish on for around 3-4 months before placing into display. This will give me plenty of time to observe and react accordingly to anything displayed.

I will be starting with 3” fish.

Now I know there is nothing groundbreaking here and basically chopped bits from methods I have seen to complete something I feel gives my fish a good chance of being healthy specimens.

Any thoughts or tweaks anyone may make? Comments appreciated good or bad.

Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: My Planned QT regime

It's good to see a well thought out process! Take a look at Al's procedure in the link below, Whether you do all of it or part of it, the last section will let you know why he recommended these things. Good luck!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's good to see a well thought out process! Take a look at Al's procedure in the link below, Whether you do all of it or part of it, the last section will let you know why he recommended these things. Good luck!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure
    Thanks for that link and believe I had read it. Also think that was part of his presentation I saw online at a convention. Sorry I don’t recall which one? The video was a few years old but very informative and a cracking watch. I’m sure I will watch it again.
    I liked his emphasis on clean water which I’m looking to not only make sure it’s good quality but delivered well aerated and matched temperature to tank so no fluctuations during a change.

I keep reading and picking bits up but as I’m covering a subject I’m popping something onto the forum so it’s written down somewhere and hopefully you experienced guys chime in and back up my thoughts or highlight if I have it not quite right.

It’s a learning curve but I’m enjoying it.

Cheers
    John

I’m lucky in my area having soft water and my TDS from tap is only around 40. I will be fully testing water so I know what I have but I will be looking to adjust the fish to water rather than making changes by buffering water etc as I suspect that will be tricky to maintain and just asking for a headaches.

Registered Member

I would locate my quarantine tanks at another house. Then take a few fish to a pathologist before
    using the shot gun method. Treat the disease with the right medication otherwise when you really need that medication the Discus becomes immune to the medication. Also some diseases stays for life.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 01-31-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I would locate my quarantine tanks at another house. Then take a few fish to a pathologist before
    using the shot gun method. Treat the disease with the right medication otherwise when you really need that medication the Discus becomes immune to the medication. Also some diseases stays for life.

Cliff
    I don’t want to sound like an arse but I don’t think
    I’m fully onboard with what your suggesting?

Let’s also be clear I’m just a hobbyist looking to
    Condition fish best I can within reason.

I would be keen to know how many hobbyists have another house for there QT

Real Name
    Bill G.

Personally, I’d skip the multiple meds approach. I, too,don’t have another house to use. Lastly......look into the “hero fish” strategy for your final approach.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Personally, I’d skip the multiple meds approach. I, too,don’t have another house to use. Lastly......look into the “hero fish” strategy for your final approach.
    Any reason you say to skip multiple meds? I don’t believe any are to invasive and seem to give me a good general cover of ailments.
    Yep cheers for tip on hero fish it is something I have read about and will introduce

Real Name
    Bill G.

My thinking is to use meds for actual issues, not as “cleaning agents”. Also remember that mult meds will also stress fish as well. Others will surely disagree, but using mult as opposed to maybe one med is a bit much to ask the fish to go through, especially if there is no need on the part of the fish. If you QT your fish for 3-4 months, it’s likely you’ll see signs of say external parasites during that time. If you do, then treat.....if not, then don’t. I also tend to think that a targeted med use is more effective on a problem when it arises as opposed to using a given med over and over again. Just my thoughts.......admittedly there are more experienced discus guys than I.

Real Name
    Mervin

Mmm not a good plan. Clean fresh water is what you'll need. Keep things uncomplicated.

Interesting last couple of comments thanks. I knew it would split opinion as some folk like to treat and some don’t. I think I do want to treat to give best possible chance of clean healthy fish going into display but I’m not discounting differing views without due thought and more reading. I have time in my hands after all.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve yet to use meds! I don’t have them in my house or my qt house . Clean water solves most. Qt new fish for 4-6 weeks will let you know what may be wrong with the new fish. Next is your hero fish. Add your least liked fish to the qt tank and see what happens. Give that a few weeks to make sure there’s no problem.

So after some of the feedback here plus the local shop I have decided to use I’m leaving the medications in the cupboard.

I’m going with Stendker Discus so not really having to worry as much as I would with Asian.

I do think we still need to treat for internal parasites because we cannot physically see it with our naked eyes. Fish can still carry internal parasites for months before showing symptoms.