ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Pair

Default New Pair

I have 2 red Turks who’s tubes have dropped. They’re in a 90 gallon display tank with other discus. They’re chasing everyone. I have a spare 20 gallon tank I can put them in. But should I wait until they lay eggs or take them out now? I heard that sometimes a pair won’t breed after they’re moved?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New Pair

If it’s their first time I’d leave them be. It usually take a few times before they work it out. This way you know they’re a good pair. I have what I would believe are 3 pairs in one of my tanks. But none of them have made it past eggs.

Registered Member

Tom is right. However, I do have a female that I got from Kenny which after only two weeks of her being in a community tank she took interest in a male. I moved them to a 20 gallon. Three days later they spawned first time to free swimmers. So it can go either way but like, Tom, says no harm in leaving them be for now. I separated the pair because the male wanted to go it alone raising the fry. I then put them back together a month ago. So far nothing going on.

Ok. I guess eggs will be eaten. Then things will calm down again in tank. I’ll wait until they lay eggs a couple of times before I remove them. As long as they don’t hurt the other discus.

Registered Member

Wait till the eggs are fertile then move the pair with the fertile eggs in your 20 gallon this way the pair will stay in their parental care mode.

Cliff

They seem to be cleaning a spot on a huge piece of driftwood. So I won’t be able to move them with eggs.

Real Name
    Tom

Here we go again!36A877B1-4ED1-4E3A-92D1-24B2AEA408CE.jpg. They get eaten by tomorrow.