AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdated information

Registered Member

Default Outdated information

Hello all.

I want to start by saying that Simply Discus is a great forum...one of the best...BUT, so many of the threads are outdated that I wonder about the usefulness or value of this older information today. I'm sure some of it still stands as valid, but as the years pass, things change. Technology, information, the hobby, all changes. For example, looking into some sections like lighting or breeding and I'm seeing stickys that were posted as far back as 2003. Nearly 20 years later, things have to be different. I'm wondering if anyone has had the thought of updating the stickys with recent information. Not sure if others think the way I do, but when I'm researching, I look for the most recent threads.

Again, don't take this thread the wrong way...it's just an observation.

Take care,

Greg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Outdated information

Good observations! I will gather my thoughts and try to provide a satisfactory answer later. For the short term, technology may change but basic discus requirements do not.

Part of the outdated information is because membership has declined and the instant gratification of FB has taken over many aspects, but success relies on education and learning, not supplied answers. Too many people want to be told how to succeed and not learn how to succeed.

Any ideas on how to bring us into the 21st century are more than welcome because, even though outdated, this forum is the best resource in the world for success with discus!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Greg, perhaps you could suggest threads which reflect more updated data and we could review and stick where appropriate. What more updated information have you seen regarding discus breeding for example?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Past 20 years

Disease treatment - no changes
    Water parameters - no changes
    Water change - no changes
    Feeding - no changes
    Lighting - LED but not important
    Filtration - No changes

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Good observations! I will gather my thoughts and try to provide a satisfactory answer later. For the short term, technology may change but basic discus requirements do not.

Part of the outdated information is because membership has declined and the instant gratification of FB has taken over many aspects, but success relies on education and learning, not supplied answers. Too many people want to be told how to succeed and not learn how to succeed.

Any ideas on how to bring us into the 21st century are more than welcome because, even though outdated, this forum is the best resource in the world for success with discus!
    I get it and as I said, don’t take it the wrong way. I’ve learned tons from here. You make a valid point too with the basic discus requirements not changing.
    Last edited by Gremi16; 12-09-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Greg, perhaps you could suggest threads which reflect more updated data and we could review and stick where appropriate. What more updated information have you seen regarding discus breeding for example?
    Pat
    Actually, I should have state updated “information” rather than sticky and that usually comes in the form of new recent posts.

Real Name
    Brian

No offense taken. Back in the earlier days before FB, there were up to a couple hundred active members from around the world on the forum at any given time. All contributing and all getting to know each other. Many friendships developed here as well as a lot of the opposite, lol... Now most of the daily visitors are hackers and spammers, but we do have a nice core that keeps things lively...

But many people have changed. Even though they rely on FB and such, there's far too much misinformation and bad advice out there, and as outdated as many parts of this forum are, it's still the best place to learn about discus.

Al may not be around much these days (hopefully he'll be back soon) but he still pays the bills, and it's new members like yourself who ask and learn that keep this place up and running instead of fading into oblivion like so many other forums have.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share them and we'll do our best to make improvements. And, just so you know, a complete forum upgrade and software is in the plans that will make Simply more user and mobile friendly. We just need to get back to work on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gremi16 View Post
    I get it and as I said, don’t take it the wrong way. I’ve learned tons from here. You make a valid point too with the basic discus requirements not changing.
    Please tell us what threads you are referring to. Like the Captain said, nothing as far as Discus keeping has changed. The point of the forum is to teach people who want to learn about how it's best to care for Discus. That's why what you said about outdated information confuses me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve got to say I’m all over the internet on fish sites. Facebook discus sites! What I read on Facebook is just sad most of the time. A person has a problem and 35 different approaches to fix it are given and then the post is gone. No idea what happened or what worked. Just posts!! I go there for pictures . If you look through the threads here people show up with there problems and many here get involved and help solve them. Yes there are new ideas here. Some of the best discus people are here and always happy to help. Thing is the info may be old but it’s still the right info. Not much has changed in this whole hobby in the last 30yrs. Fishless cycling,nitrate chasing and how to keep fish without doing that much have been the big topics for the last 10 yrs. Successful fishkeeping all starts with clean water.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Please tell us what threads you are referring to. Like the Captain said, nothing as far as Discus keeping has changed. The point of the forum is to teach people who want to learn about how it's best to care for Discus. That's why what you said about outdated information confuses me.
    Hi Liz! It’s not so much about pointing out what threads are old, but more about…”I was just reading this [insert thread here] and realized it is dated back in 2003” …are such and such method still utilized today? Is there an easier way to …? A better way to…? Regardless of how much people say things haven’t changed, things have changed. For example, easier and improved ways of doing water changes, improvements in equipment (filter pads to filter socks to filter rollers), new and improved medications, etc. etc.

A real life experience as an example…I’ve been doing water changes apparently the old fashioned way, with buckets and a simple cleaning vacuum. Now, there’s several different methods, as seen with the Python and the Sicce Ultra zero pump. I haven’t set up my discus tank yet, but I’ve already bought the Python and Sicce pump. This has become a highly recommended solution to easier water changes. Hell, maybe I’ve been living under a rock this last 20 years, lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    No offense taken. Back in the earlier days before FB, there were up to a couple hundred active members from around the world on the forum at any given time. All contributing and all getting to know each other. Many friendships developed here as well as a lot of the opposite, lol... Now most of the daily visitors are hackers and spammers, but we do have a nice core that keeps things lively...

But many people have changed. Even though they rely on FB and such, there's far too much misinformation and bad advice out there, and as outdated as many parts of this forum are, it's still the best place to learn about discus.

Al may not be around much these days (hopefully he'll be back soon) but he still pays the bills, and it's new members like yourself who ask and learn that keep this place up and running instead of fading into oblivion like so many other forums have.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share them and we'll do our best to make improvements. And, just so you know, a complete forum upgrade and software is in the plans that will make Simply more user and mobile friendly. We just need to get back to work on it...
    That presentation that Al did on Discus was one of the most informative discussions I’ve seen On Discus. I’ve watched it several times already

Real Name
    Frank

There is an attitude in the culture that just because something is old that it is out-of-date. To be clear, I am not saying that the OP has this attitude. I am just speaking in general. I have learned how to keep discus from this site and its excellent moderators (including Al) and contributors. If it is the best approach, then it's the best approach regardless of how old the information. I wish that there were more contributors on this site, along with current grow-out threads would be nice. The old ones are still informative though. FWIW.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    There is an attitude in the culture that just because something is old that it is out-of-date. To be clear, I am not saying that the OP has this attitude. I am just speaking in general. I have learned how to keep discus from this site and its excellent moderators (including Al) and contributors. If it is the best approach, then it's the best approach regardless of how old the information. I wish that there were more contributors on this site, along with current grow-out threads would be nice. The old ones are still informative though. FWIW.
    Valid point…:thumbsup

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’ve got to say I’m all over the internet on fish sites. Facebook discus sites! What I read on Facebook is just sad most of the time. A person has a problem and 35 different approaches to fix it are given and then the post is gone. No idea what happened or what worked. Just posts!! I go there for pictures . If you look through the threads here people show up with there problems and many here get involved and help solve them. Yes there are new ideas here. Some of the best discus people are here and always happy to help. Thing is the info may be old but it’s still the right info. Not much has changed in this whole hobby in the last 30yrs. Fishless cycling,nitrate chasing and how to keep fish without doing that much have been the big topics for the last 10 yrs. Successful fishkeeping all starts with clean water.
    Someone was telling another person with a clearly sick discus to put an orange peel in the tank to stimulate its appetite (make it crave, is the way they phrased it) the other day on one of the Facebook pages (not the Simply Discus one). This is not dissimilar to beekeeping information, the VAST majority of which is actually disinformation. One of the most difficult things in the age of the internet is discerning who/what to trust. A nearly impossible task sometimes.

I think I agree with most other people in the thread in that the majority for the information isn't really outdated even if the threads are old. I would agree that the forum could use some pruning, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that while keeping all of the old stuff organized. I think it's easy to look at the hobby and think "how look how much it's changed!" when in reality it hasn't changed very much at all other than a couple of technological upgrades. I started back in the late 90s or early 2000s when I was in high school. And there are two things that I use now that I didn't use then. Inkbird temperature controllers and Kasa smart plugs/power strips. Otherwise... it's all the same stuff. Lighting has obviously changed a lot and planted tanks are much more prevalent, but I'm sure plenty of people were doing that way back then as well.

Real Name
    Tom

Got to say the python system has been around for about 30yrs. Before that we used garden hoses. I joined the internet sites in 2017. Nobody was doing things much different than I’d been doing. One thing I like and did make sense is the cleaning of my media in old tank water. Before this I cleaned everything with tap water. But I got to say I never had problems with the tap water. The fishless cycling seems to be a big thing. I just don’t get it? Fish in cycling has been done since the start of fish keeping. It’s worked for everybody. But a group of people decided it’s cruel to fish. So now they came up with the fishless cycling. Great! 90% of the people doing it have no clue and think it’s just a time related thing and add there fish at the end of the time frame. Whether or not the ammonia is still there. None buy test kits and don’t understand why all their fish die as soon as added. But I guess that’s not cruel?

Plenty of better pumps than sicce. Jabao is half the price and just as good . Thing now is lots of well advertised things that just aren’t worth the price. Lighting is all over the place. It costs nothing to make these lights but some companies are asking hundreds for what others are asking very little. Media! The pond guru is probably the best salesmen ever in this hobby! Got everybody buying bio-home media and believing it’s going to reduce nitrates! Sponge does much better and is so much cheaper and been around forever. Used to be a saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast