ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to the site and from UK

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thumbs up New to the site and from UK

Hi All,

Been reading the forums on here for a while now, great site and great people, so I thought I'd join in.

Looking to learn and share - with more emphasis on the learn!

I've had tropical fish for 10 years, then had a little break for a few years, and now coming back into it and coming into the world of Discus.

I'm literally starting off from scratch and just got my rimless tank which 60x60x65cm (about 230 litres) and stand... the rest of the gear I need I'm going to be asking for opinion and input from the forum.

So next I'm looking for a lighting system and external filter with built in thermostat. Feel free to let me know what you would and wouldn't advise.

Cheers,

Forcey Boy

Default Re: New to the site and from UK

Welcome to the forum Paul. I'm glad you decided to introduce yourself.

I'm not the one to help you on filtration because I use sponges. My favorite light is the Finnex Vivid because it brings out the colors of the colors of the fish. It is a moderately expensive light. There are much fancier ones that cost more that I don't know about.

People who can answer your questions will be along soon.

BTW, where in the UK do you live?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Liz,

Thanks for getting back.

I'll check that one out - is it good for the plants as well as the fish? And not a problem with regards to the filter.

UK wise I'm from York.

Real Name
    Brian

You've come to the right place! Feel free to ask anything and read up. I'm set up pretty much like Liz but there's plenty of information in the technical section for you to digest!

Brian

Alright Paul, another fellow UK based here. I’m in Cheshire and also new to Discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Brian - I've just come across that tech section now - plenty to get my teeth in to!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Oi oi John - nice to see another Liverpool supporter! ����

I'm originally from Birkenhead, but moved up' North! lol

How new into Discus?

Quote Originally Posted by forceyboy View Post
    Hi Liz,

Thanks for getting back.

I'll check that one out - is it good for the plants as well as the fish? And not a problem with regards to the filter.

UK wise I'm from York.
    I don't know much about York. My SIL is from Wales. My mum was born in England. She didn't let it be known that she was 100% Irish.

Finnex makes other lights. Some are good for fish, some are good for plants, and some to their best to be good for both.
    Mama Bear

Oi oi John - nice to see another Liverpool supporter! ����

I'm originally from Birkenhead, but moved up' North! lol

How new into Discus?
    Very new mate as in not kept them before. I’ve always wanted to but just never have for one reason or another. My join date was a time a long way back I was going to give them ago but stuck with saltwater. Definitely switching a tank over this time though.

Where you planning on getting your discus from?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't know much about York. My SIL is from Wales. My mum was born in England. She didn't let it be known that she was 100% Irish.

Finnex makes other lights. Some are good for fish, some are good for plants, and some to their best to be good for both.
    lol your talking to a bloke that's original from Liverpool (the other side of the Mersey) which means half or families are Irish.

With regards to lights I had spotted these ones - but they are a fair few quid!

https://aquariumstoredepot.com/produ...r-led-lights-1

https://aquariumstoredepot.com/produ...dge-led-lights

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/a...twinstar-600sa

Any good or are there cheaper but the same? And one light or two?

So many questions!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by johnlfc View Post
    Very new mate as in not kept them before. I’ve always wanted to but just never have for one reason or another. My join date was a time a long way back I was going to give them ago but stuck with saltwater. Definitely switching a tank over this time though.

Where you planning on getting your discus from?
    Wow saltwater very dedicated!

I've got no idea with regards to where to get them in the UK - I wanted to get 6, three different strains and ideally male and female - plus I'd like them to be small. One due to cost and the second I'd like to see them grow.

I've had look on here and see that some people sell their fry but not sure if there are any on here from the UK. Or would you be able to ship from the US?

What about you?

Wow saltwater very dedicated!

I've got no idea with regards to where to get them in the UK - I wanted to get 6, three different strains and ideally male and female - plus I'd like them to be small. One due to cost and the second I'd like to see them grow.

I've had look on here and see that some people sell their fry but not sure if there are any on here from the UK. Or would you be able to ship from the US?

What about you?
    Your doing very similar things to me in terms of size you want them etc. Will you be growing them out in a smaller tank or straight into your display?

I’ve decided to go with Stendker discus from Lancashire Aquatics. They are based in Accrington so probably and hour and half drive for you but that’s nothing really for quality fish. Call it a day out.

I will link there site and Stendker’s in the hope I’m not breaking any rules. I did phone a few breeders but Sarah at Lancs Discus was easily the most helpful and friendly.

Hope the links help. Check out the PDF section on Stendker for exactly how to keep there fish.

https://lancashirediscussales.co.uk/i/about-us

https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/home

Oh her 2 1/2-3” discus were around the 25-30£ mark for the strains I was after