ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 55G Planted Discus tank

Registered Member

Default 55G Planted Discus tank

Below is a link to a video I just made feeding. Specs are in the Bio in the picture. Any suggestions from experienced keepers? I am new to Discus but not new to the hobby. Enjoy!

Last edited by SCORPA; 02-10-2021 at 03:25 AM.

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: 55G Planted Discus tank

Nice setup. Very beautiful
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Thank you. I might do another planted tank but only 20 gallons so I wouldn’t have discus in it

Real Name
    Tom

Nice looking tank! How long has it been set up? What substrate? I do think the lighting may be to much. Seems even the neons or cardinals don’t want to use the middle of the tank. The discus are dashing through it like us on a hot sand beach . I think you could do away with the fluorescent. The plants look like med light users. Some swords and Java fern maybe a crypt in the back corner. Nothing that needs a ton of light.
    Looks like 4 discus? Do you could still add a couple more .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Nice looking tank! How long has it been set up? What substrate? I do think the lighting may be to much. Seems even the neons or cardinals don’t want to use the middle of the tank. The discus are dashing through it like us on a hot sand beach . I think you could do away with the fluorescent. The plants look like med light users. Some swords and Java fern maybe a crypt in the back corner. Nothing that needs a ton of light.
    Looks like 4 discus? Do you could still add a couple more .
    It’s been set up about 3 months. The middle of the tank has a lot of current the power head and filter outlet both shoot through it from each back corner, that’s why nothing really sits put there. I worry if I add more discus it will stress out the fish since it’s only a 55 gallon tank. I could pull the tetras for another tank and have added 5 instead of 4. They truly need 10g of vertical movement a fish to be happy. I was worried the lights were too much that’s why I hung them from the ceiling off the tank. The substrate is 60lbs caribsea eco-complete and 15lb florite black sand on top. If I could do it again my sand bed would be a quarter of the size. I did not anticipate buying discus when I set it up. I used smaller plants of the bottom to allow more swimming room. Will post more picture on here when I can figure out how. Everything is growing like crazy I may cut back how much I dose. Glad you enjoy! I had a 65g saltwater reef tank and let it go about 3 years ago, so fresh water never compared to me. This set up is challenging and really bringing me back into the hobby!

Registered Member
    Last edited by SCORPA; 02-11-2021 at 01:19 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Crop them down a bit and they should rotate.
    Again good looking tank. But what’s the purpose of the heavy current in the middle. That’s lost space. I would do away with both the wave makers. Discus don’t need the current. Yes they can swim in it but in a tank there’s no need for it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Crop them down a bit and they should rotate.
    Again good looking tank. But what’s the purpose of the heavy current in the middle. That’s lost space. I would do away with both the wave makers. Discus don’t need the current. Yes they can swim in it but in a tank there’s no need for it.
    One is a powerhead to kick up food before it hits the bottom of the tank, since I can't really vacuum the substrate due to the plants. It is an Aquaneat 480GPH powerhead. The second is the outlet from my canister filter which would be going in anyways. I want to give these fish current to swim in since the tank is on the small side. It helps distract them from picking on the tank mates and they seem to love swimming in it. It helps move the water and reduces dead spots for algae to grow. Very beneficial for my plants.

I am currently in the process of getting my Discus to eat different foods besides just live California blood worms.

I tried to attach the images it gives me 4 options. All different sizes, I posted them all in medium size

Real Name
    Tom

I’m guessing there takin with a phone. The ones that come out normal are taken horizontal and the ones sideways are taken vertically. So the vertical ones need to be cropped to fit in. For me I just reduce to large and they post.

Registered Member

Yeah Iphone SE 2020. It is not very good. I have a gopro hero 7 black I recorded the video with. I will add some pictures with that eventually and try to crop and add them smaller. I am really impressed with the growth of my plants. I am adjusting the time both lights are on slightly lower to be easier on the fish. Also developed a water change system very quick with these guys lol.