ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Scared Discus

Registered Member

Default Scared Discus

I would appreciate some feedback to see what I can do. I have 17 Adult Discus in my 180 gal tank with sump which I have had about 6 months. I recently moved the Discus to a smaller tank for about a week to redo the current tank with a 3D background and some other improvements. The discus were moved back to the remodeled tank approximately 1 month ago but they continue to remain extremely skittish and scared. Every time I walk in front of the tank, they all hide and seem extremely scared almost trying to get out of the tank banging themselves against the glass. My family is scared to come to my office now since the fish seem like they will commit suicide as my kids tell me! Forget trying to turn on any aquarium lights. The fish are a bit more outgoing in the morning when I am about to feed them, however even then any sudden movement sets them off. If I am not in the room and looking through the camera, they are all happy go lucky and act normal. They all seem to have good appetite and color otherwise. I was hoping that after 1 month they would be back to normal but it has become extremely frustrating as I cannot even enjoy my tank or fish. I know discus by nature are somewhat shy but this is ridiculous. Almost wish I got some Oscars or something that are outgoing!! I am not sure what to do and need some help.

I have a mostly bare bottom tank with some river rocks and fake plants. Temperature is about 82-83°, 0 ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are less than 20. I vacuum the tank almost on a daily basis.

Has anyone experience this? Is this normal? What should I do?

Thank you!

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Scared Discus

Seems many things contribute to discus acting like this. Are shadows being cast from windows, doors or lights? Any changes with water that would make it toxic in some way? Any way a parasite was introduced or has become an infestation?

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I had this years ago with my first tank. They were so skittish when people came into the room. Once with friends over we walked into the living room and one jump clean out of the tank and I caught it in the air and dropped it right back into the tank. And told my friends there very friendly. To stop that I added a school of neons (yes neon) tetras. About 20. Seemed all the constant movement by the tetras calmed them down. So I’d suggest some dither fish. SAE are very good.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scales View Post
    Seems many things contribute to discus acting like this. Are shadows being cast from windows, doors or lights? Any changes with water that would make it toxic in some way? Any way a parasite was introduced or has become an infestation?
    Tank is in the same location as before. I am not sure if anything in the water is toxic, but would figure they would have other symptoms besides just being scared as they act normal when no one is in the room. I have not seen any white stringy poop or change in appetite otherwise suggesting parasitic infection but can't be sure. I thought of raising the temp to 86 and see if any change in behavior. Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes I had this years ago with my first tank. They were so skittish when people came into the room. Once with friends over we walked into the living room and one jump clean out of the tank and I caught it in the air and dropped it right back into the tank. And told my friends there very friendly. To stop that I added a school of neons (yes neon) tetras. About 20. Seemed all the constant movement by the tetras calmed them down. So I’d suggest some dither fish. SAE are very good.
    My discus are 5-6.5". I am afraid they will end up as snacks!

Real Name
    Willie

Do a big water change. Discus behavior will always improve afterwards.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I would just give it time. You made a major change to their environment, it's probably nothing more than that. Be cautious until they're settled... walk cautiously into the room or up to the tank, and while you do maintenance and feed.

My most recent fish did this daily for the first month I had them lol. I truly hated it, so I get it. If I make a super sudden move by the tank, they'll still do it from time to time. (last time I tripped over something near the tank and they all very quickly/violently scattered).

Registered Member

If the Discus could speak they will tell you they don't like the remodeling that's their way. Might want to back track to find out what are the
    problems might be new background, new tank decor, a change of routine maintenance and etc.

Cliff