ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Full Advise on Quarantine Procedures for Discus and other tank mates.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Default Full Advise on Quarantine Procedures for Discus and other tank mates.

Hello everyone, not new to fish keeping, been on and off for many years but new to discus and new to quarantine procedures. I am in the process of setting up a new 220 Gallon build, you can follow the progress here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...03#post1352703 . As part of the build I want to invest in a 40 to 55 Gallon Breeder quarantine tank. The purpose of the quarantine tank is for disease prevention, so prevention vs cure type approach. I purchased some Absolute Wormer Plus which is a flubendazole based medication.

https://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_...products_id=47

I plan to keep dicus, German Rams, tetras, possibly hatchet fish, Cory's and a plec or two. The fish will be added in stages, starting with probably the tetras, then moving onto the rams, then bottom dwelling eventually the discus last.

So my questions related to the process, sorry there are a lot.

--> Should water temps be increased above those of the display tank, if so by how much?
    --> Recommended length of time for quarantine
    --> Feeding amounts during quarantine
    --> Water change frequency during quarantine (Most likely dependent on medication).
    -->Recommended filtration media during quarantine (Thinking of using a simple HOB filter)
    --> Is wormer plus good enough to cover the fast majority of potential parasites and diseases or should I also treat (separately) with epson salts etc?
    --> Has anybody use flubendazole based medication on Cory's, Plec and other scaleless fish? I am trying to find out more about this and found mixed opinions. Absolute wormer plus warns not to use on Sting rays.
    -->Sounds silly but is there a risk of introducing disease/parasites via plants? If so what can be done to avoid this when introducing plants?

Finally once all the fish have been introduced to the display tank I do not plan on medicating for the sake of it, I would only repeat the quarantine procedure to introduce any new fish which would only happen hopefully when smaller fish run their life span etc.. I am not the kind to keep adding fish, once I reach a healthy balance that 's it. Of course if some outbreak had to happen then the QT tank would have to be setup again.

Thank you in advance!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Full Advise on Quarantine Procedures for Discus and other tank mates.

For me a qt tank s a tank to view new fish before going into main tank. I do 4-6 weeks. If the fish has been in the tank for that time with no problems I add it to the main tank. Qt tank stays the same temp as the main tank and get its water changed the same as the main. I don’t medicate. Maybe I’m lucky. But I find most fish are stressed. Let sit in qt for a month and the stress goes away and you get them on a good eating schedule. All grow during this time and color up.

I use 2 types of filtration 1 hob and 1 powerhead with sponges attached or a sponge filter for a larger tank. I will use 2 of those choices.

My belief is that the breeder and seller have already medicated your fish so there is no reason to do it again.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Full Advise on Quarantine Procedures for Discus and other tank mates.

This is Al's procedure for QT http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thank you, yes its 50/50 of whether to treat vs just wait it out. Either way its recommended to do 4 weeks minimum as you are saying..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-8UETrQv8 this was also a good video.

Real Name
    Francis

How to Keep Discus by Al Sabetta owner of Simply Discus forum

Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thanks yes I watched this and one of the reasons I plan on setting up a quarantine tank, I picked up a 30 gallon breeder today.