AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: RO/Tap MIX..How to? PLEASE

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default RO/Tap MIX..How to? PLEASE

Hi Everyone!
    I am in need of advice..ideas and Help with creating a method for doing consistent Ro/Tap/Prime changes for 2 tanks! To those of you who reply.. I So Thank you!

I am newly raising 15 discus = sizes 1.5 inch - 2.5 (8 fish in a 30 gal)...... and 3.0-4.5 inches in a 55gal.(7 fish)

Here's the info:
    *I live in the upstairs of a house with very little extra space for storage of anything let alone Barrels of aging water. Tho I did get a 30 gallon plastic storage bin for storing the slow accumulation of RO water.

* My Tap water comes out at about 8.5 - 8.6 Ph and is very hard.

* I want to mix the RO water with a small percentage of tap to bring the PH up from 6.0 to 6.8-7. and this will add a small amount of minerals as well.

* I am doing 50% WC every other day on both tanks and cleaning up their messes at least once or twice a day.

* Right now I use a Booster pump with my RO filter system but it still takes 15 hours to make 25 gallons of RO water! So even if I got a 2nd bin the Ro water system would not near be fast enough to fill it by the time I need it and I don't have another faucet to hook a 2nd RO system onto.

* I tried draining the RO water directly into tanks but my 'On-Demand' water heater sends out error codes and quits working with the non-stop demand for heated water. So I have to store water and heat it with an aquarium heater.

**** I would so appreciate it if anyone has a tried and true system, method for consistent PH water to share with me that could possibly fit my situation!

......Right now I am just not happy with the amount of possible error built into my method of handling my water dilemma. Prime, RO, Tap mix with only a 30gal bin of slow filling RO water when I need 40-50 gal.

***What are your suggestions??
    Again, Thanks So Much! Regina

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: RO/Tap MIX..How to? PLEASE

You don't have enough information to move forward. For example, my water straight out of the tap is pH 8.8. After 24 hours of conditioning, just an airstone and a heater, the pH drops to 7.5. Also, you don't know the hardness. My tap water is only 125 ppm TDS, so high pH does not equate high levels of hardness.

My suggestion is follows. Take a sample of straight tap water, a sample of water out of the R/O, with or without conditioning, and ask the local fish store to run both pH and TDS. Once you have actual data, then what to do becomes very straight forward.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Re: RO/Tap MIX..How to? PLEASE

Thanks so much WillIe!
    I will try aging with an ayirstone and for longer and see if that is an improvement.
    I have some hurdles.
    I live on an island with very limited resources But I will follow your advice and will bring water Samples with me the next time I head to Seattle.
    I checked the GH & KH w my API kit and both were over 100 ppm....darn island water! But will also get a more specific hardness report from the fish shop.
    I appreciate receiving some direction from you!... Regina