AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Our Water Parameters Blew Up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Our Water Parameters Blew Up

All five of my tanks house discus, angels, and other South American fish with some SAEs thrown in. Normally, our water parameters are very stable so I was surprised when an employee informed me that one of the tanks had an elevated nitrate level. It turns out that all of the tanks have elevated PH levels, tested with multiple calibrated PH meters. I eventually tested the tap water and the PH 8.9! The town where my office has well water, 9 wells. There must have been a change in where my water comes from. I think that we need a Reverse Osmosis system before this week's WCs. Do you have thoughts on the size and type of RO system that I should be looking at? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: Our Water Parameters Blew Up

I didn't realize that there is Water Works sub-forum if a moderator could move this thread over there. Thanks.

Real Name
    Brian

The size of the unit depends on your needs. Do you want a reef system for bulk storage or do you want to incorporate RO into your drinking supply? You can do some creative plumbing to to both. Do you want to use your wastewater as well? I do but my concern isn't nitrates, it's TDS. The carbon block and pre-filter may take care of your needs.

Most fish keepers use a 100GPD system, but I have one unit that I hooked up an additional membrane to produce 200GPD. DOW used to make the best membranes but others may be good as well these days.

Bulk Reef Supply is a good source, but other than the membrane, the components are the same. Additional options can monitor water pressure, TDS and even ph.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I am considering one of two possible units, one tankless, both 500GPD that I would have installed in the breakroom so that we have water for coffee, etc. I am thinking of continuing to use the Python to suction water to the utility sink in the basement. I prefer not to store water and I don't have a use for wastewater at this location. I would like to be able to do all of the WCs on the same day which is why I am looking at higher capacity units.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 02-15-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

It's not clear exactly what's going on in your system. What is the tap water pH and TDS? What are the parameters after conditioning? How many gallons are you planning to change? How often do you change water? Also, what's going on with the fish? If they're not showing stress, then why change at all? I'd recommend getting a more complete assessment before deciding on the type of RO system needed.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Tap PH is 8.9, did not test for TDS. Fish are fine. 343 total gallons in the tanks, all of the tanks get a 33 - 50% WC a week, discus often get two WCs.

I'm with Willie. Don't change anything unless the fish start showing signs of stress. I know people who keep Discus who have a pH in the high 9's.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Thanks, I am going to heed that advice as the fish in all of the tanks are healthy and active. I am about to call the water department to try to find out if they made any changes and if the changes are permanent.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi David, I am in agreement to not change anything. The fish are in a large volume of water where you are making 30 to 50% water changes. The large water volume helps to ease any drastic water parameters from the new water. The fish are telling you everything is fine. I do think contacting the water department to see what's up is a good idea.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Google your water supplier and have a look at their levels. They should have a print out on what's in your drinking water. Not sure if it's the law there or not.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Update: the head of the Water Department just returned my call; there has not been a change in how they treat the water,, and the water has a PH of 8.5 - 8.6. The tank that caused my concern is currently at 8.1 and is currently having a WC. Going forward all of the discus and angels will have two WCs a week on Tuesday and Fridays and while we have three PH meters, all calibrated, we are going to primarily use the nicer, more expensive meter.