AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is this Alenquer Discus Normal?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Is this Alenquer Discus Normal?

Hi All~
    I am just learning the Discus Husbandry! I received this guy already in beat up condition). My Alenquer Bully who was a terror in the tank developed some fin rot. Turns out his stress over being a dominator got the better of him.
    So I put him in the hospital tank a few days ago and have dosed him a couple times with salt. He seems to be slowly healing!

*BUT.. that's not what I'm posting about.

I am so very curious as to why his coloring now is completely different! He was ALWAYS so very dark. I have posted pic's. (19A7CB43-6280-457D-A1A9-EB3F6020CA06.jpgI had to stand far away to get the light colored photo so unfortunately its not so easy to see)

After being a day by himself he totally lightened up. Tho if I come close he returns to being quite dark again. I've now watched him fade and darken rapidly back and forth and in-between.

I am wondering what his natural coloring is and if it is the lighter shade then I need to figure out how to best care for him.

So I am questioning if this 4.5 inch discus is better off leading a solitary life??? Is being with other fish just too stressful on him?

I would love/appreciate some input and info as to if this isn't that unusual.
    Thanks so Much! ReginaA6952B3A-4655-47F1-97E1-E8D449E040D4.jpg
    Last edited by sunsetopal; 02-15-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Real Name
    Francis
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-15-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Re: Is this Alenquer Discus Normal?

THanks For rotating the photo's! Any comment Francis??

Real Name
    Francis

IMO try using antibiotics like kanamycin to treat internal bacterial infections. Also add salt 3 Tablespoon per 10 gallons to help to relief stress and fight external infection.
    Salt works well against many protozoan parasites such as Costa, Trichodina and Chilodonella and other ectoparasites.It helps clear connected gills as well.
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-15-2021 at 11:36 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

THanks !!! Will do!

Registered Member

I have several Red Alenqrer. They are a variety which, in my experience, can switch back and forth from dark to light and back often. I don't often see the stress bars so I suspect they change shades for reasons other than stress. The salt is the best treatment for any fish to begin with.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks so much for chiming in! That is really good to know about the Red Alenquer! Those and the Cuipea's are my very favorite strains and I will be getting more in the future!

What threw me off was I bought 2 Alenquers from the same seller at the same time..same sizes... and the other one's nature is completely opposite! Very friendly and totally chill and is light colored. I have never see it go dark tho it does have bars and those have gotten darker.

In the month that I've had these 2...this is the very first time the dark one has ever lightened up! I thought he was having a severe bad reaction to the salt at first cause I have seen him go a just a bit lighter then what you see in the first pic where he is quite dark but nothing near to this light color you see in the second photo. Its like having a new Alenquer all of a sudden!

Yeah..I feel the salt has soothed him!
    Regina

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

There does seem to be damage to the pectoral fin and tail fin, but it it very difficult to see due to the poor quality of the lighting in the pics. Could he bacterial or does look similar to ammonia burns also. Is there the possibility of a mini cycle w an ammonia spike correlating with the timing of the presentation of this issue?
    Salt at 6tbsp/10gal is where I would start, also drop temp to 80-82, change water at 50% replacing salt daily for 7 days and then try to get some clearer pics for us to assess progress. If in the 7 days things get worse not better, keep salt treatment going and add the kanamycin.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thank You Daniel!
    Im sure there was no Ammonia spike...at least in my care. The tank is well cycled with no nitrites. He arrived in my care with the damage to his tail and pectoral fin. Then he recently developed the beginnings of a fungus problem to those areas and one eye.

He has been in a salted hospital tank for 3.5 days already and a lot of the fungus problem has receded. The only area I see it on is around his one eye. My dosage has been less than you suggested so I will up the dosage to rid the area around his eye.

Will attempt to get better Pics in a few days.

Regina

Registered Member

Is this a imported Alenquer from Amazon or a domestic bred Alenquer? I ask because the wild versons seem to have fin damage. See Youtube videos of wild discus filmed in the wild. Notice their fins.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Hi Peewee1~ I went on YouTube to watch videos of wild Discus and ended up entranced for hours watching as many videos as I could find on the wild discus! I saw what you mentioned about the ragged fins.
    I purchased my Discus from Uncle Sams Tropical Fish. He does look very different then the other Alenquer I ordered at the same time who is the same size. But I don't know. I've included a photo that I just took of the guy in question.
    He is looking much better today! All the fungus has melted away from his 4.5 day stay in the hospital salt bath.
    I refrained from using any meds and am so glad! Im very happy! His color is lighter and is staying more constant.
    Im nervous to put him back in the tank with the others. He seems so much more relaxed now! I have the tank next to my kitchen sink so I am there quite a bit and he seems chill with me. I do make an effort to be slow in my movements around him.
    Should I keep him in the hospital tank for a while more?? I was thinking I would just slowly change his water out with non-salt water till there is no salt in his water and then a couple days after which return him home??? The whitish marks are just salt build up on tank.
    Thanks! Regina ..... IMG_0005.jpg
    Last edited by sunsetopal; 02-17-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetopal View Post
    Hi Peewee1~ I went on YouTube to watch videos of wild Discus and ended up entranced for hours watching as many videos as I could find on the wild discus! I saw what you mentioned about the ragged fins.
    I purchased my Discus from Uncle Sams Tropical Fish. He does look very different then the other Alenquer I ordered at the same time who is the same size. But I don't know. I've included a photo that I just took of the guy in question.
    He is looking much better today! All the fungus has melted away from his 4.5 day stay in the hospital salt bath.
    I refrained from using any meds and am so glad! Im very happy! His color is lighter and is staying more constant.
    Im nervous to put him back in the tank with the others. He seems so much more relaxed now! I have the tank next to my kitchen sink so I am there quite a bit and he seems chill with me. I do make an effort to be slow in my movements around him.
    Should I keep him in the hospital tank for a while more?? I was thinking I would just slowly change his water out with non-salt water till there is no salt in his water and then a couple days after which return him home??? The whitish marks are just salt build up on tank.
    Thanks! Regina ..... IMG_0005.jpg
    Do the 20% water change daily or every other day but I would replace the salt in smaller amounts. Salt works miracle on fish. You are about 20 miles west from me., some via the Fauntleroy/ Vashon ferry system. I will try to keep track of you or you can pm me and should my Red Alenquer spawn again I can get some too you. They look like the yare getting ready. The female's tube is down and they are pecking. The male is not cooperating but if they spawn again then the male would be wild Red Alenquer and female is Ica Red. An Ica Red is a Red Alenquer with double Heckle strips. And I am hoping to hear from a friend who is waiting for a spawn of wild Green discus. Also join the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society. They just had a Youtube meeting last week. So there will be another first week of March. Watch for an announcement from Roy here on Simply Discus. Your last photo appears to be a female.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thank you! And I would be very excited to purchase some of your Alenquers from you. Hopefully they won't make me wait too long!
    I did join GSAS hoping to meet fellow Discus owners! So that is awesome that you are in the area.. and enjoy the Red Alenquers no less! I bet the wild greens are beautiful!!
    So curious... how can you see the sex?

Registered Member

For sex I take clues from shape, color, and fins. I'm usually right. Example, about 9 months ago I called Kenny, one of our foremost, now sadly former, importers. Told him that I had too many males and not enough pretty ladies for my boys. If he would be so kind as to send me one female. He sent me a fish, it looked like a female to him and to me. Three weeks later she spawned with one of my boys. So I knew we guessed right. I will get with you if and when these two love birds settle on when quit pecking and lay down some eggs. Fish are free, unless you own the local fish store.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

I see! Experience! Well then my other Alenquer is probably a male. He is growing so fast and big. And tho the same strain looks somewhat different.. and much more beautiful.
    Yes.. so sad about Kenny! He is a legend.
    A million 'Thanks" for your generosity! Ha Ha! Swear I don't own a fish store.. Tho it truly has been a big wish to find some local Alenquers. I have a 30 gal that I am growing out some very young Discus in...as small as an inch. They are different strains. None are Alenquers or Wilds. So I will be ready if your couple ever gets down to business!
    Regina