AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help with stock solution methylene blue for fungus eggs

Registered Member

Default Help with stock solution methylene blue for fungus eggs

Hi all!

I hope someone can help me. My pair of Discus (I'm sure it's a male and female) have some problems with fungus on the eggs.

Now I want to make a stock solution from powder form methylene blue and 1l RO water.

I find different solutions concentration so I thought I should try it over here!

So what is the best stock solution of MB powder per l.
    And what is the best dosage of that solution for fungus on eggs.

Hope anyone can help me!

Kind regards from the Netherlands and sorry if I miss spelled some words 🙏😊

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Help with stock solution methylene blue for fungus eggs

Can be dosed a pinch at a time or by premixing a solution with 1/2 teaspoon powder to 8 ounces distilled water. When dosing with a chemical dye, such as Methylene Blue Powder, it is best to dose by color and not by a measured amount.

Treatment of Eggs: When pulling the eggs from the parents place the breeding slate or cone in a hatching container. Add Methylene Blue by the drop or pinch. The water should be a light to medium blue and the eggs should remain visible. Approximately 2-6 hours prior to expected hatch the eggs should be removed from this chemical dye as it is known to burn the gills and is suspected of causing the swim bladder to not properly inflate, greatly affecting the fry's ability to swim and remain suspended in the water column. All traces of Methylene Blue should be removed prior to the eggs hatching, which will occur around 48 hours for freshwater angelfish after spawning if kept at 80F.

http://store.everythingaquatic.net/d...e-powder-p-338

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonflys View Post
    Hi all!

I hope someone can help me. My pair of Discus (I'm sure it's a male and female) have some problems with fungus on the eggs.

Now I want to make a stock solution from powder form methylene blue and 1l RO water.

I find different solutions concentration so I thought I should try it over here!

So what is the best stock solution of MB powder per l.
    And what is the best dosage of that solution for fungus on eggs.

Hope anyone can help me!

Kind regards from the Netherlands and sorry if I miss spelled some words ����
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Hi seanuki!

Thx for you're response. But I'm not taking the eggs away from the parents. So I'm looking for a solution to add MB at the breeding tank directly with the eggs and parents in it.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Can be dosed a pinch at a time or by premixing a solution with 1/2 teaspoon powder to 8 ounces distilled water. When dosing with a chemical dye, such as Methylene Blue Powder, it is best to dose by color and not by a measured amount.

Treatment of Eggs: When pulling the eggs from the parents place the breeding slate or cone in a hatching container. Add Methylene Blue by the drop or pinch. The water should be a light to medium blue and the eggs should remain visible. Approximately 2-6 hours prior to expected hatch the eggs should be removed from this chemical dye as it is known to burn the gills and is suspected of causing the swim bladder to not properly inflate, greatly affecting the fry's ability to swim and remain suspended in the water column. All traces of Methylene Blue should be removed prior to the eggs hatching, which will occur around 48 hours for freshwater angelfish after spawning if kept at 80F.

http://store.everythingaquatic.net/d...e-powder-p-338
    Thanks so much for the information. I’ve been thinking about trying something like this. My TDS have been too high for a hatch and I am positive I have a good pair. My question is... if you remove them and put them back in with the parents just prior to hatching will they accept them back? My interest in breeding is to witness the parents raising them. Has anyone had success with a return? My last pair I tried mixing RO with aged water and it was so unstable trying to get the ratio correct and my female eventually got too stressed out. I’m not willing to risk this pair. This seems like the safest way if they’d take them back.

Sorry... didn’t mean to steal your thread Dragonflys!
    Last edited by Jenene; 02-19-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Haha no problem! Still hope to get some answers from someone.. 🤔 I'm not convinced that if you pull the eggs and place them back later that everything is oké. Not with eating parents but also not with the fry because of small change of water parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonflys View Post
    Haha no problem! Still hope to get some answers from someone.. �� I'm not convinced that if you pull the eggs and place them back later that everything is oké. Not with eating parents but also not with the fry because of small change of water parameters
    That crossed my mind but if you switch them back before they hatch I’m thinking the egg casing protects them from that. Just a thought.
    My two know the cone and protect it even if there are no eggs on it. So after one attempt or a few I’m thinking it could work. Interested to know if anyone here has pulled it off. I’ve heard though... you can’t fool Mother Nature.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields