ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: The Full Circle Chickens

Default The Full Circle Chickens

I have mostly Bielefelders. The others are one each Delaware, Light Brahma, and Lavender Orpington. I love the lovely dark brown eggs the Bielefelders lay, especially the ones that are speckled. The Bielefelders are bred to be good free range chickens. Mine sure are. I built them a lovely chicken house with roosts everywhere but the darn Bielefelders prefer to roost in a holly tree when it's chicken bed time. Even in 12 degree weather with ice pellets falling from the sky, they were up in the tree rather than in their house where I put in 2 heat lamps to keep them warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Re: The Full Circle Chickens

Good to see you got more chickens, we just got done dealing with possum problem.
    Last edited by famtsberg; 04-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Even though I don't have a rooster six of the stupid things think they are incubating babies so rather than getting a dozen eggs a day I'm getting 6. This breed is not supposed to go broody. Mine didn't read the directions.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Liz I just saw this thread, hard to understand them choosing a tree to sleep in when they have that nice snug house! I remember how hard you worked on their home. Good looking eggs and flowers!

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Even though I don't have a rooster six of the stupid things think they are incubating babies so rather than getting a dozen eggs a day I'm getting 6. This breed is not supposed to go broody. Mine didn't read the directions.
    Crazy chickens, we are getting up to 16 a day. Was getting 20 before the dang possum. Kids just passed out 6 dozen to the neighbors. We have some cool roosters now wish I could get one to you. They sit in your lap, very gentle.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.