AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The Full Circle Horse

Default The Full Circle Horse

Charlotte doesn't look like much in her winter coat but she's really a very nice horse. She's a Thoroughbred, but after winning a couple of thousand bucks 28 years ago, she went up in class and failed. She's a nice pleasure horse, though. She's 30 years old now, and quite sound except for the fact that her back teeth are so warn down that she can no longer eat grass. She picks it up with her front teeth and gums it around but she cant grind it small enough for her to swallow. There are wads of chewed grass she spit out all over. I figure that at least she gets the flavor of it if nothing else.

Usually I let Charlotte run loose like all the rest of my animals but not during hunting season. My neighbor hunts deer in the adjacent pasture and he put up an automatic corn feeder. Charlotte goes to the feeder, picks up the corn and spits it out in wads after she get's through gumming it. Hunting season will be over in a week so she will soon be a free range horse again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: The Full Circle Horse

Charlotte is a wonderful looking horse and she carries her age well Liz. It is not easy to keep her in good weight I bet with the lack of teeth?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

She is beautiful Liz, I know how you love her and I bet she loves you too. She is a lucky horse to be living in peace and tranquility with you and all your other critters, except for hunting season of course...you should put an international orange vest on her!

Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Charlotte is a wonderful looking horse and she carries her age well Liz. It is not easy to keep her in good weight I bet with the lack of teeth?
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. She can put on a show galloping around like a 3 year old when she's in the mood. I feed her Triumph Senior, twice a day, as much as she will eat. She stays a good weight, unlike some of my fat dogs. The Triumph senior is a complete feed so she's able to do well with grass or hay.
    Mama Bear

I know my neighbor would never accidently shoot her. He's a responsible hunter. The reason I have to lock her up is that she forever sets off his motion activated camera he has at the corn feeder, as well as picking up all the corn. He's shown me the pictures. There'll big ole Charlotte surrounded by a bunch of deer. The deer must think she's one of the herd, just much larger.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Charlotte to s beautiful Liz. I looked at her pic before I read the thread and thought to myself "her winter coat is classy!".

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Charlotte to s beautiful Liz. I looked at her pic before I read the thread and thought to myself "her winter coat is classy!".
    LOL Her winter coat is shaggy. Her summer coat is shiny.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Tell us how you got her!

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Tell us how you got her!
    I like that idea Barb Liz, do you know her history?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I don't know a whole lot. Before I got her she belonged to a neighbor who has since moved away. When I returned to Mississippi 12 plus years ago, I returned with my "tame only for me" Mustang mare, Patience. Her herd mates while she and I were away away were goats, but when I came back home she was all alone and needed a friend. My neighbor had way to many horses and knew it. She offered me Charlotte as a herd mate for Patience. Her ex husband had purchased her as a western pleasure horse and the neighbor didn't like her because she belonged to her ex. Patience passed away several years ago so Charlotte's only herd mate is me now. I'd find her a friend but I'm too old to get another horse.
    Mama Bear