AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

Registered Member

Default Re: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

Regardless of bio media, I strongly advise to have aeration either in a tank or in a sump.

If it’s too loud, you might add air compressor and placed it outside of the room.

Registered Member

Default Re: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Regardless of bio media, I strongly advise to have aeration either in a tank or in a sump.

If it’s too loud, you might add air compressor and placed it outside of the room.
    I hear your point... so in my experience so far whenever I had highly planted tanks - even with low-tech - the plants provided plenty of oxygen and there was no need for extra aeration. I am aware that many of the Discus tanks are planted very minimalistically - there you would certainly need aeration. But in a highly planted nature aquarium (which I intend to build with this set-up) I would imagine plants should be more then enough to keep oxygen high for its inhabitants.

I have been considering maybe adding some airstones to the sump and putting them on a timer - to switch on during the night when everyone is asleep and bedrooms are in the upper floor - so this wouldn't bother anyone. I will need to see how that might disrupt the CO2 though...
    And I am thinking of adding a dissolved oxygen probe (in addition to pH probe), so that I will at least give me real data on what O2 levels are in there.

Registered Member

Any other comments regarding baffles vs horizontal flow in terms of (a) sump efficiency and (b) noise of water flow and trickle?
    I recently bought George Farmer's book on Aquascaping and loved it... many great tips there regarding the build. But in the Sump section, there was very limited information and I feel there are still so many different DIY approaches where each one has a separate opinion on what works and what doesn't
    Would love to hear as many thoughts on this as possible. Once I choose a set-up it is a one-way ticket... Well... I could always throw out the old sump and get a new one... that would be a minor cost... I at least admit that part

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
    And I am thinking of adding a dissolved oxygen probe (in addition to pH probe), so that I will at least give me real data on what O2 levels are in there.
    I’m having a probe with embedded power switch. It controls both oxygen and ph and might switch on/off one of the power slots depends on the level of ph/o2. Sounds useful especially when you dosing CO2 ... but after 10-15minutes of working it blown up fuses at my home luckily I was there and haven’t left tank unattended without power.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    You can't really use K1 media without aeration - that's what makes it fluidized. It looses its efficiency if it's not fluidized. In this case, your best bet is going to then go with some biological media like the ceramic media made by MarinePure and others.

If you want to really help filter out particulate matter and keep maintenance to a minimum, you might want to consider a rollermat: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/compa...-theiling.html
    Reading about the rollermats... looks like a fantastic device.
    I'm not yet completely convinced how much extrar noise the water would make going through these things and another small issue I have is an occasional accidental small fish that may be sucked into the overflow... with a rollermat it's destined a certain death; if drains go into an empty chamber first before the sponge filters, then the little fish could survive there for a while before catching it and putting it back into the main tank.
    But in general i LOVE this idea... studying it further.

Do you have any experience with Rollermats? Anyone did a sump yet with this installed? I couldn't find much info outside the "reefer" space.

Registered Member

It this tank for discus?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I just love reading all this stuff on setting up a discus tank or we putting a fish on the moon. Discus are not saltwater fish so why this is a rocket science project just to filter the water? Love it do your thing, can't wait to see the end project.

Registered Member

Indeed it is for discus
    ...but I intend to make a heavily planted high-tech "nature aquarium" aquascape... not a bare or sand bottom with some sticks and stones only...
    Also, I want it to be almost maintenance-free and fully automated ecosystem.
    So I want to give it some effort in the initial design to make sure I can have a system that is as self-sustainable as possible.

Registered Member

Heavy planted tank requires:
    - frequent (daily) fertilising. You might consider pump for dosing
    - cutting and trimming of plants (I know a guy who spends few hours weekly just on trimming of his 100g tank)
    - removing algea from glass, leaves etc

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
    Reading about the rollermats... looks like a fantastic device.
    I'm not yet completely convinced how much extrar noise the water would make going through these things and another small issue I have is an occasional accidental small fish that may be sucked into the overflow... with a rollermat it's destined a certain death; if drains go into an empty chamber first before the sponge filters, then the little fish could survive there for a while before catching it and putting it back into the main tank.
    But in general i LOVE this idea... studying it further.

Do you have any experience with Rollermats? Anyone did a sump yet with this installed? I couldn't find much info outside the "reefer" space.
    A few acquaintances of mine use rollermats in their reef setups and love them (I've aided on maintenance and such every so often when we meet). Keeps a lot of the debris out (uneaten food, feces, etc) and makes sump maintenance a lot easier. You are spot on though - if you have small fish they will likely get caught in the rollermat and possibly unable to escape. There are a few ways around that with the whole idea to make the overflow "fish proof". There are a variety of methods - plastic gutter guard attached behind the weir with zip ties or cyanoacrylate and adding foam to the standpipes are a couple examples.

Real Name
    Shan

The more baffles you have that touch the bottom of the sump, the less water volume that will be in the next chamber.

I am not an expert on fully automated systems but I have a sump that I plan on changing the filter floss material out 1-2 times a week. I buy bulk poly batting from walmart and it should last half a year.

Good luck on your fully automated system. Just remember small dip system water changes will not clean out a lot of the slime and other bacteria buildup in the water column that test kits dont pick up
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

if you keep discus, the temperature will be much too high for plant species in Amano tanks or Congo tanks. Most of the plants that thrive at 84 degrees dont need CO2 of bright light.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

I use a rollermat in my 240 gallon reef and I also use one on my 120 planted Discus tank. Yes randomly small fish do get through the wear and are in the rollermat. I cannot speak for the above mentioned filter. I use the Bubble Magnus large on both tanks. Whenever a rummy nose decides to take a ride to the sump they are usually waiting for me inside the filter. Occasionally they have somehow gotten out of the filter and are in the next compartment. The design of the BM roller mat directs the full siphon from your bean animal into the filter pointed down. With the design of this filter allowing the inlet tube to be on either side I have modified the second port that is normally plugged to except the secondary drain. This allows all of the water that goes into the overflow to be filtered. Also with the design of this filter directing the water towards the bottom of the filter the water above it is fairly calm. Majority of the time this is where I usually find the above mentioned rummynose. I must say they are not as intelligent as the cardinal Tetras that have never taken a ride down the overflow. By the way I have my emergency drain routed so that it dumps into the baffle just before my return pump and 6” above water level. This way if the drains are clogged and you are using the emergency drain you will hear the splashing sound. I also run a variable speed although AC pump. My estimation is somewhere around 1400 gallons per hour.
    Last edited by Millwright; 03-11-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ratin Rahman

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Sump is way easier to maintain than carnisters. If you have a choice go definitely with a sump. You might hide there heater, co2, whatever you like. Attachment 130615
    At the beginning I thought my intake placed in right corner is bulky, but now I don’t even se it.
    What are the white stuff in your sump? Ceramic media?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ratin3 View Post
    What are the white stuff in your sump? Ceramic media?
    It’s K1 - moving bad media. A LOT of small plastic balls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast