AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

Registered Member

Default Re: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

Hi all, it's been a while since my last post. We've had some challenges on the way with the manufacturer of the big glass tank etc. so this is causing some delays unfortunately. All of the equipment is now already purchased and waiting to be connected, the stand is ready, so only the glassware is missing.

HOWEVER, I have one big news I'm happy to share: we couldn't resit and we already chose the inhabitants for the new aquarium... beautiful wild discus from the Santarem company. The fish have been handpicked and selected by us (our family) and fully paid for, and the Santarem team was kind and will hold them in a special tank for us until we are fully set up and cycled and ready to receive them in their new home.

Here is a teaser - let me know what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc7jJNXRq4

I will have one more post to make in this thread related to the sump - that is the only component I still have not confirmed the build yet... still figuring out best way to do it. I will appreciate some final feedback on that; after that, I will migrate this to start a fresh thread with a Journal of the new build.

Registered Member

Default Re: challenge with a 2x canister vs a sump design for a new ~300gal nature aquarium

I hope you guys like the selection of beautiful wild royals and semi-royals... I think they will be amazing in the new tank and hardly waiting to finish it.

Now, I have ONE MORE FINAL request to make - as I mentioned... all the equipment is bought and waiting - EXCEPT FOR THE SUMP. I still cannot decide whether I have made the right design or not. As you will remember we went for a "horizontal" design to have a simple flow through the foam filter media as biological filtration (like matten filter etc.) and I have the Innovitech Fleece roller filter at the beginning to take out all the nasty stuff and biological debris. It should run pretty clean. On the sides I planned just small 3cm side wings of glass to hold the foam filter media in place and force the water through the media instead of flowing along the walls on the side. At the end - before the return pump, I added a baffle, however not sure if that adds any value? On the top I also added glass wings so that I can place some acrylic cover on top to minimize evaporation.
    Here below are the last sketches. PLEASE - can you have one more look at the sump design and let me know if you think the design makes sense, would you change anything, does the final baffle make sense, should I have 2 baffles (up and down) or none? Anything else?
    Is the 100cm length (with 50cm width and 50cm height) OK for a sump for the tank we are planning? Since it will be a heavily planted tank and having the fleece roller, I think it should be enough... or do you think I would need to make it 120x50x50?
    I would like to confirm the build of the sump early this coming week so that I may start working on the installations etc. and then only wait for the big tank to arrive once it's finally ready - hopefully in about a month.
    Much appreciated as always!

Slide1.jpeg
    Slide2.jpeg
    Slide3.jpeg
    Slide4.jpeg

Registered Member

I guess you need to show those beautiful wilds first to have an answer

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    I guess you need to show those beautiful wilds first to have an answer
    Does the youtube link not work for you? ...it works for me when I click on it.

Real Name
    Brendan

Loving all the plans and tech . While I’m no sump expert, I’m not sure on the plastic dividers. I would think they would need to be glass baffles to ensure proper flow through the media.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Loving all the plans and tech . While I’m no sump expert, I’m not sure on the plastic dividers. I would think they would need to be glass baffles to ensure proper flow through the media.
    The plastic dividers are like egg-crates or something like that... really nothing - just to fix the matten filter or whatever foam filter I will eventually have, between one end and the other end of the sump.

There are glass lines ("wings") on each side that prevent flow along the walls but force water through the media... however they are not full baffles. The reason why I dropped baffles is that many people were reporting that with baffles they would hear water trickling more... while it may not bother some, I am trying to make as silent as possible sump - hence this directional flow and not like in a traditional sump.

But I'm no expert either... so this is what I was playing with... but keen to get feedback from experienced hobbyists.

Registered Member

I have similar setup to your design : Bio media followed by sponge matte.

Sponges are hold by egg crates from left end right side. IMO no glass divider is required there.

BTW I missed the previous post with YouTube link. Now I see! They look gorgeous
    Last edited by pablos; 05-23-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Real Name
    Shan

Good lord what a detailed and incredibly well thought out sump.

I scanned it and it looks like everything is overkill in a good way.

On paper everything is looking good but make sure you are prepared for real time adjustments for things that may pop up. Sometimes its better to start simpler to keep it easier on yourself.

Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

nice thread

Registered Member

long time without update. How did setup go?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123