AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Finally figured it out

Default Finally figured it out

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I just noticed it probably 2 days ago, I added 2 new fish that's when it started
    n

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Turning dark on some but not all, excess slime, not eating clamped fins darting, clamped gills, have not noticed white or stringy poop, hiding, tailstanding, and cloudy eyes.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I did a complete water change and added salt, 18 teaspoons for a 90 gallon tank. Waited 24 hours saw no improvement, did another complete water change using aged water on both w/c's and then tried metro for eight hours. that brings me to today, no change.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    90 gallon, ages between 2-3 years to 1 year, 10 total, size between 6''and 4"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    I usually change water once a week, but have changed water completely last 2 days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank has been in operation for 3 years, Bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I usually age my water at least 24 hours before use, never checked for a ph swing from out of the tap before aging.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Amquel +, add it to the tank, 3 tablespoons for my 90 gallon

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 82-84_____

- ph _7.2-7.6____

- ammonia reading _0 ppm___

- nitrite reading 0 ppm____

- nitrate reading 10-20 ppm____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _check___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    2 new fish

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I usually feed twice a day, one feeding before afternoon of say beefheart mix, the other around six in the evening of FDBW.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to themFinally fi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Finally figured it out

Looks like possible cross contamination. I usually recommend a heavy dose of salt (7-8TBS per 10g) with daily 50%+ water changes in this situation but a lot of people have been recommending Rid Ich recently. I believe Rid Ich will damage your biofilter so keep an eye on ammonia spikes if you use it.

Are you saying one single dose of 7-8 TBS per 10 gallons then daily water changes, or dosing that amount every day with a water change?

Real Name
    Brian

When using salt, you want to replace the amount being removed during water changes for 10-14 days, so a 50% water change would require a 50% dose of salt. Salt does not evaporate so the original dose can only be removed during water changes. I'm not sure of the directions for Rid Ich.

I lost all my discus to something after I stupidly added what I thought were clean fish. This is my second mistake with this happening to me, I did the same thing back in 2005. Well it's time for the clean-up again, and I forget what I should do to clean my tank so I can start again. Also the only discus to survive this last bout were the ones that I newly added, still looking unfazed from it all. Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Tom

Where did you get the surviving ones? You may just want to buy more from that vendor instead of starting all over.

I would but he doesn't have any new inventory. I want to grow my own out at 2.5" or so, so what can i do now to clean out the tank for new arrivals.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry to hear this Jim here's to future success
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening