ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battling Eye Fungus. Help..Please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Battling Eye Fungus. Help..Please

Hi~ Well poor girl (she's a 4in. juvie) had fungus (white fuzzy looking) on her tail, dorsal and eye.
    I put her in the hospital tank last Monday and dosed the 10gal with 3 Tbsp of Aquar. Salt and it seemed to kill the fungus but when I started changing her water in her tank with reg. water the fungus came back with a vengeance on her one eye. And only there.
    So I have had her in a bath of 1 tsp/10 gal of Methylene blue since Thursday.
    Looked like no change has been occurring to her eye so I went ahead and started another salt bath of 3 tbsp per 10 gal a couple hours ago.

I don't know if that is enough salt or if I should be trying another drug.
    I have the heat up to 84 f.

She is not clamped. She is eating but less than her normal. I would include pic's but can't see her well enough.

I would so appreciate any advice on how I might better help her to heal!

Thanks, Regina

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Battling Eye Fungus. Help..Please

I'd like you to fill our the disease questionnaire when you have a chance. It'ss hopefully provide the information needed to make a proper diagnosis http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

I'd also really like to see close up photo so we can see the extent or progression. Most of the time this issues is related to water quality but injury is also possible.

I have a couple of ideas for treatment but the information we need would be most helpful in choosing the correct one...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks Brian.. OK will fill out the questionnaire
    Regina

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?.................

****Looks like Fungus growth on Eye. Fish previously had fungus on end of tail and around dorsal.
    Problem started on Monday Feb. 15th

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

*FUNGUS ON EYE

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment...

* 3 TBSP AQUARIUM SALT TO 10 GAL. ...THEN 1 TSsp METHYLENE BLUE/10 GAL.....THEN ANOTHER DOSE OF 3 TBSP SALT/10 GAL.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish......

* 10 GALLON HOSPITAL TANK. RO WATER....* 4" FISH

*55 GAL COMMUNITY TANK OF RO/TAP WATER WITH 5 OTHER DISCUS RANGING IN 4.5-3 INCHES (NO OTHER FISH ARE EXHIBITING ANY SICKNESS OR FUNGUS)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

*IN HOSPITAL TANK..= 50% CHANGE EVERY OTHER DAY

*SAME IN 55 GAL

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

*HOSPITAL TANK SET UP ON FEB.15TH. IT IS BARE BOTTOM

*IN 55 GAL..2.5 MONTHS ...IS A BARE BOTTOM TANK

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

*IS RO WATER WITH 6.5 PH

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

NONE

9. Parameters and water source;

IN COMMUNITY TANK :

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __83___

- ph ____6.5_

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___0.5_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water _95% ....TAP 10%___

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

NO

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.........

BEEFHEART MIX. .....HYTARI FREEZE-DRIED BLOOD WORMS.. HYTARI PELLETS... KRILL FLAKES... HYTARI DISCUS GOLD

TOTAL OF 4-5 FEEDINGS PER DAY

FFC25E93-40A8-4BB5-AD37-3BEFA73B534A.jpg

5BA7A1B9-F6E1-405A-814F-85C274F99DC5.jpg

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them

SORRY FOR POOR QUALITY PHOTO'S!

DISCUS IS IN THE METYLENE BLUE BATH. BUT YOU CAN SEE A WHITE DOT. THATS THE FUZZY FUNGUS AND IT HAS NOW GROWN TO COVER THE WHOLE EYE. SHE DOES'NT SEEM TO HAVE THE FUNGUS ANYWHERE ELSE.

*I DONT KNOW HOW TO ROTATE PHOTO'S FOR THE FORUM
    Last edited by sunsetopal; 02-20-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Any help/advice would be so very greatly appreciated! Please!
    Thank you in advance!
    Regina

Real Name
    Brian

You water and routine look pretty good. Have you closely monitored ph? Straight RO has no buffering capability and you could have had a ph crash. A cloudy eye like this is a common result. If this was a ph crash then I would continue the salt treatment 3-4 TBS per 10g and replace the salt removed during water changes.

What was your water change schedule before this issue?

I dealt with this myself recently. I was out of town for a few days and when I returned I had a single discus with the same ailment. I used Nitrofurazone and it cleared up in about a week, but I think salt would have done the same thing because this was a water quality issue, although it may have been an aggression injury because a pair in the tank was being very territorial.

There's another med I've been experimenting with called Microbe Lift Artemiss. It's an all natural bacterial expellant that's good for internal and external bacterial issues.

If you continue with salt, don't stop for about 10 days with daily 50% water changes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thank you so much Brian! I have been researching all day trying to find help for this fish and its proving a daunting task.

Ive checked the water parameters of the community tank almost every day since the discus have been in there and it has been good! The other fish are doing excellent so far.

There was nothing different about the water change right before the issue occurred.

The sick fish arrived nearly a month ago (with the others) in a very stressed state with the fins already tattered.

She has stayed stressed the entire time she was with her mates in the community tank and ceaselessly bullied them all.
    I believe this is what led to her immunity finally plummeting.

I am worried that it is columnaris so I am monitoring her very closely. The fungus came on extra strong the minute I changed from the salt back to regular RO when I could no longer see any fungus.

I have some Nitrofurazone on hand but will wait for another 8 days and leave her in the salt bath as you suggest....and the salt worked to cure the other fungus issues last time.

I am very curious about Microbe Lift Artemiss. Love that its a 'natural' Bacterial expellant! I will check in with you in the future to hear about your findings.

Thanks Again Brian! I feel a sense of relief now and can get back to work changing water
    Regina

Real Name
    Brian

You can use nitro and salt at the same time if you want to. You can stop the salt at any time but once you begin nitrofurazone you should finish the whole treatment.

Good luck and check back with any updates!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks Brian! I am am gonna start the nitro today and was wondering if I could still use salt. She is now getting Fungus on her mouth and no change on her eye.
    Your help is so very appreciated!
    Regina

Real Name
    Francis

You can add one to two Tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons..
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thank You Francis! OK.. will up the salt dose! Regina

Real Name
    Francis

Nitrofuranzone has a very broad safe range......you could doze 378 mg per 10 gallons repeat daily for 10 days with each water change.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks Again Francis! She is going down hill.. so will start the Nitrofuranzone today!
    Regina

Real Name
    Brian

I agree. If it's progressing, nitro is in order! Just make sure you keep up with the water changes to keep the bacteria count down...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Thanks so much Brian! Crossing my fingers!
    Regina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast