AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What strains?

Default What strains?

I bought from LFS and told that it is albino platinum and albino cobalt discus. Just trying to confirm on the strain on these two discus . Hopefully some members can confirm on these strains. WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 15.05.30.jpeg
    gotta catch em all

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: What strains?

Imo to determine if the discus is albino, it must have red pupils ....albino platinum/ albino blue diamond is all about the breeders grading system for marketing.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

The blue background tints all the fish. The one below appears to be a bluish albino platinum. The one above is albino, but the pattern does not appear to be a cobalt.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Did you buy these Discus at the store with the big aquarium sign with the traffic jam? Use a flashlight shine the light on the eyes if they are pink, purple, dark blue and dark cherry red then they have the albino bloodline but probably a small percentage, as the original albinos came from browns.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

My question is how are you going to feed both yellows and reds in the same tank?

Don’t let us become too technical, enjoy your new Discus! Discus are beautiful whatever strain they are.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 02-21-2021 at 08:23 PM.

thanks for the informations guys. My albinos do have red pupils especially when light is shine towards them. The fish on the left do looks like a albino platinum to me and the right fish still remains mysterious to me. in spite of that, I still loves all my fish regardless of their strains. Im just curious on how they will looks like when they reach adult given with upmost cares.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-22 at 09.24.17 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-22 at 09.24.17.jpeg
    gotta catch em all

And I agree with you, healthy discus are sight to behold on display tank. Regarding on feeding regime, I feed FBW yushu brand on my new quarantined fish twice a day. In the long run, I will try to transitioned them on pellet diets soaked with vitamins. I am using vibra bites and it contains astaxanthin. So expect hat my fish to turns reddish overtime.
    gotta catch em all

I think they really are albinos. At least mine looked about the same as yours. Therefore, I can say that it is most likely they, as it seems to me.