ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue face San Merah Discus

Real Name
    Larry

Default Blue face San Merah Discus

Are there anyone who has these beautiful fish, who maybe breeding them and has some babies for sale? These are extremely hard to get, Discus Madness has them sometimes in the larger sizes.
    Thanks
    Larry

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Blue face San Merah Discus

What you're seeing out there is actually blue face Red Covers. I know Forrest and Kenny had some for sale awhile back but I haven't seen anyone post photo's of them as they grow out. Many of the ones you see online or on FB are enhanced. If you find a good reputable source, let me know. They're very hard to find in the USA.

Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    What you're seeing out there is actually blue face Red Covers. I know Forrest and Kenny had some for sale awhile back but I haven't seen anyone post photo's of them as they grow out. Many of the ones you see online or on FB are enhanced. If you find a good reputable source, let me know. They're very hard to find in the USA.
    Brian
    Am thinking Mateo at Discus Madness has advertised the actual San Merah Blue faced ones. But are not in stock at the time. There has got to be someone on here that has a pair.�� Will definitely let you know if I find anyone.

Real Name
    Francis

San Merah don’t breed true....throwbacks may look different from parents.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, I've seen those. Many people are using the name San Merah, but those are Red Covers. True San Merah's are totally barless. Still a beautiful discus!

The San Merah wasn't a truly fixed strain and actually produced a very small percentage of true San Merah's. Mostly Red Cover fry. Francis has some good info on the back story of them and how they were developed and named.

Real Name
    Brian

And he answered before I finished writing

Real Name
    Francis

Red Cover/ San Merah

Asian producers shortly noticed the most important feature about Ghost Discus: The fact that these fish were unstoppable, completely flat-colored, non-bars and very popular red fish!
    As the first stage of this, the ′′ Virgin Red Discus ′′ was crossed by Ghost Red Discus with less bar numbers. The Virgin Red Discus is not a very attractive look, but has been prefered as a brown discus without bars and stripe (stripe). Virgin Red's unwanted main problem was the majority of black pigments. This also prevented getting a correct, light red color.
    Asian producers have followed two different ways to make red more intense and perfect;
    Some of them cross the F2s of the wild Green Discus with light ground color yellow with Virgin Red. After all, ′′ Rose Red Discus ′′ has emerged.

Another producer came to the conclusion by mating the F2s of the wild Browns with Virgin Red with ground color light. This producer was Hai Khoon Tan from Singapore. Hai Khoon was a very good manufacturer but wasn't a good marketer. He is aware of the potential of sales of Discus in his hand, so he went on a path to partnership with See Cheow San. They named it ′′ San Merah ′′ to market the fish, which is San's Red. Lim Chu Kang built a production house at Acrotech Park. They only had two fish in their hands. While one of these couples gave San Merah almost a hundred percent, the other couple was only giving away a small amount of San Merah. Using foster parents for a long time, they produce fish from these two couples between 500-1000 every month. In the end, as in many partnerships, this partnership is also broken. Hai Khoon Tan changed the name of the fish to ′′ Red Cover ′′ as a real producer and continued his way. As you can see from here, San Merah and Red Cover are actually the same fish.

It was all producers dream to get a better quality red disco. One of the producers working this road matched Golden Sunrise and San Merah, a improved varieties of Golden Discus. He named the fish ′′ Red Passion ′′ (Red Passion). This was Ivan Seah the producer.
    Another aspect of the work done with this passion was to mature Rose Red Discus with the F1s obtained from the Golden Discus crossing with Marlboro Red Discus. The discus that emerged as a result of this match was named ′′ Red Melon ′′ (Red Watermelon).

Another dimension of these works was to cross Virgin Red with Golden Discus and to re-mating the pups that came out later. As a result of these attempts, the orange fish called ′′ Tangerine Discus ", ′′ Tangerine Dream ", which is called Mandalina.
    I think these statements are clearly showing how the mutation we call Ghost Discus contributed to producing a red Solid, flat-colored disco.

I also hope that these comments to my producers brothers will create a guide while crossing red fish and answer some questions in the heads of red varieties.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Yeah, I've seen those. Many people are using the name San Merah, but those are Red Covers. True San Merah's are totally barless. Still a beautiful discus!

The San Merah wasn't a truly fixed strain and actually produced a very small percentage of true San Merah's. Mostly Red Cover fry. Francis has some good info on the back story of them and how they were developed and named.
    And as you well know a breeder when accessing a span will sort fry and then call each fish by what it looks like. Even from the same spawn so sometimes you the buyer really does not know what it actually is.

Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    San Merah don’t breed true....throwbacks may look different from parents.
    That's good to know, didn't know that.

Real Name
    Larry

Francis that is a lot of good information, didn't know they were actually the same fish just different Avenue's of marketing

Real Name
    Larry

So I am looking for the red covers with the blue rim and face? If I understand you guys correctly.

Real Name
    Tom

I got this one from uncle sams last year.69E9ECCF-827F-4279-9EB9-8D3A6D959885.jpg

Real Name
    Francis

Yup....Red Cover with blue face....recently I have seen Jeffrey Moy @ exotic-discus.com ...https://www.exotic-discus.com

Or

Mike @ Discus America Inc...... https://discus-america.business.site/

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Larry208 View Post
    So I am looking for the red covers with the blue rim and face? If I understand you guys correctly.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Look into some blue face browns or what was once call Hong Kong Blues both don't have any Pigeonblood bloodline. Currently few local breeders have these strains as they would bring these Discus fry to LFS and be offer nothing because of no color. Only way I know this is because the LFS would call me.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Look into some blue face browns or what was once call Hong Kong Blues both don't have any Pigeonblood bloodline. Currently few local breeders have these strains as they would bring these Discus fry to LFS and be offer nothing because of no color. Only way I know this is because the LFS would call me.

Cliff
    I have an interest in the Blue Face Brown because they are somewhat similar to wild brown discus. I was going to try to breed red into them as a project on day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast