ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eye Drops for Fungus..Anyone Experienced?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Default Eye Drops for Fungus..Anyone Experienced?

Hi All~ I have posted already about a Sick 4inch discus I have been trying to heal! She mainly had a good bit of White cottony fungus on one eye..one fin and her tail fin.

Currently She's in a hospital tank with about 6 gallons of RO water & 3 bubblers and a small sponge filter.

She went into the hospital on Feb 12 th. Her tank at that time had 10 g of RO water in it with 3 Tbsp aqua salt added. I repeated the salt with a 50% water change a couple days later.

The Fungus dissapeared from her tail and ventral fin. But no change on her eye.

Then I started her on blue Methlene for a few days. Mistake! Was no help.

With guidance I started her on a course of Nitrofuranzone (Furan-2) and I decided to also use Kanaplex after a couple days of using the Furan-2. The Kanaplex seemed to finally help rid about 1/2 the thick string of fungus from her eye.

Now she has developed the beginnings of fungus on her lower lip.

She is eating a small amount.

I ordered a silver nitrate treatment of drops for the fungal issues on the eyes of fish but am nervous about doing the procedure.

I would be so Thankful if anyone would kindly reach out and explain to me how I should handle her and perform the eye treatment.

Also..more suggestions on what next medication to give her would be much appreciated.

I have been continuing the Furan-2 as per the instructions said it was fine to do so but right now I feel something stronger is needed.

I have spent an arm and a leg and many hours researching how to save this fish and she is being a trooper and really hanging in there!

So I'm not gonna give up on her. I just don't want to make her life more difficult by administering meds inadequately or creating a lethal environment.

Sorry to keep bugging everyone for help but the internet is full of conflicting info and has ultimately been stressful and disappointing .
    Thanks in Advance!
    Regina

Took these photo's an hour ago:
    C5E5E35E-3F9B-474D-A2DC-30723269D002_1_201_a.jpg......AF530D53-EA60-4B17-95BA-FDBCCE3BEBBB_1_201_a.jpg.....BF09A810-688E-4B8F-9D27-298338B265CE_1_201_a.jpg... SIDE WITH NO FUNGAL ISSUE: 26075FDE-9218-4017-9EB0-621DA0172CF1_1_201_a.jpg

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Eye Drops for Fungus..Anyone Experienced?

Since antibiotics is not working, worth a shot using silver nitrate for the eye fungus and follow the manufacturer instructions.

Are you planning using AAP Aquatronics Eye Fungex ..... Ingredients: (1) Silver Nitrate, (2) Potassium Dichromate.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

Hi Francis!
    Yes..I received the AAP Aquatronics in the mail today. There's no instructions on the packaging and there was a bit of information on their site about having her in the net and not getting the solution in her gills. But I don't know what to expect with handling her and having to separately use 2 bottles of solution.

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill but I am worried that if she moves while I am trying to do this I will get solution in her gills.
    Too.. I don't know how much time she will be ok to be out of water?

And the fungus is on her lip so I will still need to treat her with an anti fungal medication and am not sure how long a break I should give her before trying another med.

Was thinking of using 'Super Fungus Plus' which is another Aquatronics product.. Ingred: Sulfamethazine, Sulfadiazine, malachite green, Copper sulfate and sodium Chloride. OR...Maracyn Oxy which is just sodium chlorite.

The Super Fungus Plus seems heavy duty and I dont know if it will be overkill since I will be using the eye formula???

What do you think?

Thanks for your help Francis!

Regina

Real Name
    Francis

AAP Eye Fungex is an effective external treatment Freshwater/Saltwater fish for:
    * Cloudy Eyes (THE treatment of choice!)
    * Swollen Eyes
    * Cotton like eye growths
    * Fungal eye infections
    * Loss of Color

Ingredients: (1) Silver Nitrate, (2) Potassium Dichromate

All fish safe TWO application direct treatment.

USE: Open bottles 1 & 2. Remove fish from tank & leave in net or hold firmly. Carefully squeeze bottle 1 (clear silver nitrate) releasing 1-2 drops directly in eye only.
    Immediately squeeze bottle 2 releasing 3 drops on eye (to stop reaction of silver nitrate).
    BE CAREFUL TO NOT GET EITHER PRODUCT IN THE GILLS! Both are very toxic to the gills.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

I would put the discus on a wet towel and add the drops(cover the gill with a paper towel) , should not be a problem.
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-27-2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Regina

ok! that's a plan!
    Thanks Again! Regina