ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Angry with USPS

Default Re: Very Angry with USPS

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The shipment that I was most worried about just arrived! That's a relief. 4 nice pairs of Pitch Black Rams to a lady who bought them 2 weeks ago and has been waiting for the weather to be good enough to ship to her. I'm so relieved. She has been very understanding. I'm sure I'll be hearing from her soon.
    I'm very glad to know they got there! Let us know if they arrived in good health.

They did. They always do unless the box gets lost and the heat pack runs out.
    Mama Bear

Here we go again...I sent 3 boxes out Monday. The two going up north were sent Express. It seems that Express is now a 2 day thing rather than overnight. Both boxes arrived with fish alive and well.

I sent a box to south California. I used Priority and of course no heat pack. That box is currently out for delivery in Sioux Falls SD. The good mood I woke up with this morning just flew right out the window.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

My son, Little Rickey, told me that he had called UPS/FedEx, don't recall which, asking about shipping from where we live near Seattle to Honolulu. The agent told him that Hawaii was not in the United States and they were not sure what the fees would be.

I'm glad they didn't know that when I shipped to Hawaii. lol USPS accepted and delivered my box.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    My son, Little Rickey, told me that he had called UPS/FedEx, don't recall which, asking about shipping from where we live near Seattle to Honolulu. The agent told him that Hawaii was not in the United States and they were not sure what the fees would be.
    This is really weird usually UPS would ask for your zip code and also Hawaii's zip code so they can give you a price . Might want to try shipping by Alaska Airline same day delivery.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm glad they didn't know that when I shipped to Hawaii. lol USPS accepted and delivered my box.
    liz,
    Were you shipping lives stock because the state of Hawaii usually wants an permit from the Fish and Game.

Cliff

Yes, my Dutch Blue Rams. The guy's a serious breeder who needed new blood. He sent me a permit.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I suspect that if one were to release a discus in a Hawaiian river or stream that the water would be warm enough for them to survive.

Real Name
    Willie

I suspect that if one were to release a discus in a Hawaiian river or stream that the water would be warm enough for them to survive.
    I can't comment on discus in Hawaii, but there's actually a problem with goldfish infestation in Minnesota. Apparently, goldfish can survive being frozen solid in ice. Native fish cannot do this. Goldfish can thaw and resume growing with little or no harm. Because of their physiology, goldfish released into Minnesota lakes start their season with a huge advantage over native fish. The state Department of Natural Resources have posted pictures of pure populations of goldfish netted out of smaller lakes. So temperature is not necessarily an effective barrier for some ornamental fish.

Back when I was bringing discus back from Asia, I had to arrange for Fish and Wildlife Inspection to approve the package at the airport. I used to think that was a ridiculous use of government resources in January. Now, I'm not so sure...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I can't comment on discus in Hawaii, but there's actually a problem with goldfish infestation in Minnesota. Apparently, goldfish can survive being frozen solid in ice. Native fish cannot do this. Goldfish can thaw and resume growing with little or no harm. Because of their physiology, goldfish released into Minnesota lakes start their season with a huge advantage over native fish. The state Department of Natural Resources have posted pictures of pure populations of goldfish netted out of smaller lakes. So temperature is not necessarily an effective barrier for some ornamental fish.

Back when I was bringing discus back from Asia, I had to arrange for Fish and Wildlife Inspection to approve the package at the airport. I used to think that was a ridiculous use of government resources in January. Now, I'm not so sure...
    When I was a kid, Willie, I now recall that goldfish were used as prizes for the various grade school carnival games. Those prize fish were shipped to the carnival frozen in blocks of ice. For a kid, like me, to see this it was most interesting and something I remember until now. Second to this was my mom taught me that when my fish got sick to add a bit of salt to its fishbowl in order to aid in its recovery from illness. Now here we are 50 years later with sick discus and adding salt to their tank as a method to cure sickness. The third thing that came from this is my next door neighbor also got those same frozen goldfish. He grew up to become a well known breeder of angelfish and discus, a National Geographic Magazine wildlife photographer, friend Al's, and the founder of the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society. He too began with frozen goldfish and salt.

Real Name
    Willie

When I was a kid, Willie, I now recall that goldfish were used as prizes for the various grade school carnival games. Those prize fish were shipped to the carnival frozen in blocks of ice....
    Wow, I'm still stuck on this imagery.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Brian

Were they living in 1958?

Registered Member

Most of the Discus breeders in Hawaii that I have seen have their fish outdoors but with heaters in their tanks. In fact my friend's wife was complaining about the cost of electricity. So I don't think Discus would do well in the Hawaiian river but gold fish wou!d.

Aloha!
    Cliff

I swear, gold fish can survive in any temp water. I have a story about one freezing solid and thawing out...An old friend was moving to a new house during a blizzard. Just before she got to a motel were she planned to spend the night her car broke down and she walked to the motel. The next day she got the car running and was able to get to her new house. The gold fish was in a bowl and when she took the bowl inside, the water in the bowl was frozen solid. She showed me with her face and hands what it looked like there frozen in the bowl with it's mouth open and fins out in a like it was in mid swim. When the water thawed the fish was back to normal as though nothing had happened.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast