ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Aquarium Water Testing?

Registered Member

Default Digital Aquarium Water Testing?

Quick question that I think I already know the answer to (which I think is no ). But is anyone aware of specifically a digital nitrate test product or option that's viable for freshwater? Unfortunately, I deal with color blindness to a small degree, which makes it insanely hard to decipher the readings on the color coded tests. To get around this, I have my girlfriend review the tests for me lol. Which gets really old and isn't really always practical.

I've searched online and I can't really find much of anything..only a few options for saltwater only. It's quite frustrating so I thought what do I have to lose by asking. Any help is very much appreciated either way. Thank you in advance!!

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Digital Aquarium Water Testing?

The only ones I'm aware of are the ones made by Hanna Instruments, but it's pretty pricey: https://www.hannainst.com/nitrate-po...r-hi96786.html

That's a nice looking gadget. Hanna is my go to place for meters. They're very trustworthy. I'm glad I don't need one that costs that much, though.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    The only ones I'm aware of are the ones made by Hanna Instruments, but it's pretty pricey: https://www.hannainst.com/nitrate-po...r-hi96786.html
    Thank you!! They are actually the one brand I came across, but the aqua specific products looked specially made for Saltwater. I didn't see this. The cost is a lot, but I really may consider it, it's a huge pain with the color based tests. Thank you again!

Real Name
    Tom

Lol I’ll keep shaking and guessing the color. Well that is if I test for nitrates . Maybe when I stop water changing?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Lol I’ll keep shaking and guessing the color. Well that is if I test for nitrates . Maybe when I stop water changing?
    Lol . The problem is it's a planted tank, so it's important for me to know the levels generally at least once a week. I'm changing water every other day with adult discus, but it's really counterproductive for the plants and so trying to maintain the right nitrate balance is tough (which I know everyone knows is the tough thing about planted Discus tanks).

Real Name
    Jake

Yep - Hanna instruments does have a lot of saltwater-based meters and checkers, but that's because it needs some different tech/sensors due to the salinity. Any of their standard water checkers/meters that isn't geared toward saltwater works for freshwater aquariums.

I agree that it is pricey, but the digital readout meters are about the only other option. Hanna makes great tools, so I don't think you'd be disappointed if you splurged for that. It really is unfortunate that all of our standard test kits are color-based, but it's cheaper to manufacture reagents and fulfills the 98% of customer needs.

Real Name
    Tom

Oh did you say planted tanks .DA178404-7367-47A6-91DF-FF3DA742A847.jpgE119A2F9-EB82-4B36-B391-EFEB9854ED8C.jpg. My plants are thriving with the water changes!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Yep - Hanna instruments does have a lot of saltwater-based meters and checkers, but that's because it needs some different tech/sensors due to the salinity. Any of their standard water checkers/meters that isn't geared toward saltwater works for freshwater aquariums.

I agree that it is pricey, but the digital readout meters are about the only other option. Hanna makes great tools, so I don't think you'd be disappointed if you splurged for that. It really is unfortunate that all of our standard test kits are color-based, but it's cheaper to manufacture reagents and fulfills the 98% of customer needs.
    Again, I appreciate it, wouldn't have known!

And @Iminit, nice tank. Mine do just fine with large water changes as well, and it isn't my first planted discus tank. My only point is that due to the careful balance of nitrates you need to achieve with planted tanks (which becomes even more important when considering beyond easy care plants such the ones pictured above), and how large frequent water changes can impact that, it can be important to understand where your nitrates are. I only test like once a week to ensure a general balance exists in the tank. Cheers!

If you get that meter you'll be able to test whenever the whim to know strikes and not have to bother the girlfriend once a week. At least you know you have color blindness. Many guys have no idea why they are unable to read the liquid test. They blame it on the test.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you get that meter you'll be able to test whenever the whim to know strikes and not have to bother the girlfriend once a week. At least you know you have color blindness. Many guys have no idea why they are unable to read the liquid test. They blame it on the test.
    It's been an issue my entire life but it's very very subtle, I'm thankful it's really not too bad. In real, regular life it doesn't bother me much at all, but it just kills me with that test! I can't tell what is what lol

Real Name
    Tom

Lol it’s not just you. That test was designed so nobody knows and at best all you can do is guess. The best way is to put the vial right over the color chart. If you can see a color through the vial that’s not it.it’s the last one you can’t see .4647B027-A301-4553-A739-0C831F1E2A22.jpg this is actually 20ppm. Next to it you would have guessed 180!!

I guessed 80! What a terrible product.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Very cool way to read a color chart, once shown seems a blinding flash of the obvious and yes, I have been doing it wrong for years. I got a Hanna sales rep on the phone several months ago who indicated that Hanna was coming out with a fresh water nitrate checker " sometime soon as in less than a year", digital but in line with the other checkers rather than the 300+ unit shown above. I haven't pursued as my tanks are on hold. To date have not seen it but I keep hoping, you may want to contact them and see if there is an updated timeline https://www.hannainst.com/contact-us

Real Name
    Tom

For me I’ve never bought into the high nitrate thing. It’s all a gimmick to sell product. High nitrate get nitra-sorb or de-nitrate or.... listen to the pond guru... bio-home reduces nitrate just take out all those useless sponges you get with the filter and replace with 2lbs of my fancy cut lava rocks for $100 and nitrate will be gone. Hey hey we’ve got matrix to do that. Buy our stuff!! In reality sponge has the best surface area for bacteria to grow on nitrate really doesn’t matter unless you never change your water. Than when you add new fish they die . And if you do a major water change all your fish die. Why from shock. If you gradually change the water all would be good. Rant done .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast