ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mirrors

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Default Mirrors

A very newbie question and I can't find it covered elsewhere in the forum although I'm sure someone more experienced might point me in the right direction....has anyone any experience of using a mirrored background?

I normally use a dark/black background but wanted to try something different and get anyone else's eperiences.

Thanks in advance

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by orchid66 View Post
    A very newbie question and I can't find it covered elsewhere in the forum although I'm sure someone more experienced might point me in the right direction....has anyone any experience of using a mirrored background?

I normally use a dark/black background but wanted to try something different and get anyone else's eperiences.

Thanks in advance
    Hi Paul, since discus are cichlids with a pecking hierarchy I would suggest not using a mirrored background. It could be fun watching a fish fight with itself but think a mirror could be a stress source for the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Paul, since discus are cichlids with a pecking hierarchy I would suggest not using a mirrored background. It could be fun watching a fish fight with itself but think a mirror could be a stress source for the fish.
    Pat
    I agree with Pat. Notice when discus breeders are living in side by side tanks and they can see one another that they will try to attack those fish that they perceive are going to get at their eggs or fry. I do have tanks side by side where the fish can see one another but I do this to give the fish a sense that they are a part of a larger school and those fish do not try fight but then again they are not now spawning either. If, however, they do spawn then I do have a screen that I can put between the tanks to give the spawning pair privacy.

Registered Member

I seen mirrors on the old Pemco and Metal frame tanks, Discus were more nervous.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Team, as always, considered and experienced advise that I really appreciate.

I'll not be considering mirrors any further, but a simple light coloured background instead.

I appreciate you taking time to reply