AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus slowly fading away

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Discus slowly fading away

1. I have in the last few months lost one discus and a second that is not doing the best and I feel I might soon lose it.

The first discus that I lost appeared to have a worm, the tank was treated with Metronidazole powder from Everything Aquatics and the the tank was treated as directed along with dosing salt at one tablespoon per gallon the first discus appeared to become blind, it was sold to me as an albino strain, I watched it at times trying to eat and it would miss the food and would swim into other fish, that discus died

The discus that I have now that is slowly deteriorating is a San Merah, I have just finished the first treatment with Levamisole powder but the discus has not seemed to have improved.

There are 6 other discus in the tank that were purchased from the same vendor about a year ago, the two fish that became sick were added a few months after, of the first six.

Of the first six there is one spawning pair and another pair that seems like they want to spawn, these six fish seem to be in very good condition

2. The sick discus is slowly getting skinny, it does at time pull its fins in, but when I enter the room they are kept in it darts to the top looking to eat, it goes after food but doesn't it eat much and some times it spits out what it eats, it does graze the bottom of the tank

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    120 GALLON, 1 year, 7, 5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30 GALLONS AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    JUST OVER A YEAR, THE TANK IS A BARE BOTTOM, WITH ONE PIECE OF DRIFTWOOD, THAT HAS THREE PLANTS ON IT

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    THE WATER IS WELL WATER AND SITS FOR AT LEAST A DAY AND THEN IT IS HEATED AND HAS A SMALL SUBMURSIBLE PUMP IN IT FOR WATER MOVEMENT

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    NO WATER CONDITIONER IS USED

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86

- ph ____7.6_

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading ___ 0_

- nitrate reading ___0_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __X__

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no,

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    the fish are fed at least 2 times a day, much of the time they are fed as many as 5-6 times a day, They are fed frozen food that was purchased from vendor I bought them from, several different flake foods, including Cobalt Discus and cichlid flakes, tetra min flakes. Everything aquatic Black worm, Beefheart flakes and Metronidazole Flake

I do not have another tank, if one discus has something I need to treat the whole tank

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus slowly fading away

Pictures will help. 0 nitrate is uncommon. Are you shaking the second bottle very hard? I think you need to do more water changes. 30 twice a week isn’t going to do it. 50% 3 times a week would be better. Best now would be to buy a 20g and qt this fish. Change 15g a day and raise the temp to 88. See if it starts eating. If not add salt at 2 tbls every 10g.

Registered Member

Any chance that the vendor buys from both Germany and Asia. Mixing can cause this kind of sickness and dwindling?

Since they've gone thru two parasite treatments, I'd do a massive water change, while vacuuming as much debris as possible and then raise the temperature slowly to 88.

How long has it been since the Levamisole treatment? You may need to do a praziquantel treatment for tapeworms. But i would give him a break from medications for a couple of weeks, as metro and levamisole are hard on the discus.

Tammy