ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus eggs.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Discus eggs.

Ok I’ve got a pair that’s been laying eggs on a regular basis. But there in a main tank with at least 20 other fish. So the eggs are always eaten. They layed again today and I’m thinking of removing the eggs and attempting to grow them. Have a thread on how to do it but my question is can I remove them from the uv steralizer theyre on or just leave them on it till they hatch?EACB8CF2-D0CB-460F-BE17-6F5464FDCC3A.jpg

And after seeing these eggs I was going to move them into the breeding tank I’ve got set up. Because the pair in there just keep eating the eggs and it went longer this time between laying eggs. So I thought they were done. But they must have guessed I thought that because as I prepared to move them back to the main tank they got busy.C82F0EE4-ED8F-4F71-9BD7-7B92FC953D50.jpg now these guys took their first set of eggs all the way to swimmers in the main tank. Those didn’t survive so I moved them to the breeder but they’ve eaten every try since 3. So I’m think of trying these too. But they would have to be removed off the flower pot. Do they just come off like cory eggs or are these fragile?

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Discus eggs.

I would not disturb the eggs by removing them from the pot. Instead look to protect the eggs from being eaten by surrounding the pot with some sort of mesh or remove the pot to an entirely separate aquarium for artificial rearing.

Registered Member

Thank you, this question was also relevant to me.

Real Name
    Brian

I agree. Try screening them.

That's what I do. Once the great mutiny takes place when the wigglers free swim and surround the parent's in a mass the pair figures out what all those little wiggly things are and the egg eating stops. Some pairs are smart from the get go but many need a little help.
    Mama Bear