AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Translucent Angelfish Fry

Default Translucent Angelfish Fry

Hi, I have become an accidental breeder of angels. My koi girl and pearl boy paired up in a community tank and after laying eggs twice and terrorising all the other fish, I moved them into their own tank. Anyway, they laid that same day and I ended up with lots of babies. The babies are now 3-4 weeks old (and I’ve just moved them into their own tank after mum laid again and dad killed around 20 of the babies), and some of the babies are translucent (you can see their innards). The others still appear fairly pale to me. Is this normal for their age?4AE999A9-0DEA-43E0-9FC3-ECA3DFF03BCD.jpg4E1C2DD4-09FC-41EB-AE3F-028D9778F1A3.jpg

Default Re: Translucent Angelfish Fry

You crossed two different strains and ended up with what was in their genetic background. The clear looking ones are called blushers. Perfectly normal. Nothing at all wrong with them.
    Mama Bear

Last edited by Accidentalbreeder; 03-09-2021 at 09:05 AM.

They will always be identified as blushers by the red gill plate. It's associated with the stripeless gene and it not at all a bad thing. They have already started to develop color. I don't know everything about Angelfish strain names. The two in the close ups are developing orange so maybe they'd be called something like Marbled Koi Blushers. Sorry I don't know more.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Both parents are carrying at least one copy of the stripeless gene, since two copies are necessary to get the red gill plate. The koi parent definitely has two copies of the stripeless gene. The pearl parent is carrying one copy. If it carried two copies, then all the fry would have red gill plates. As the fry grows, the red gill plate will fade away.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    They will always be identified as blushers by the red gill plate. It's associated with the stripeless gene and it not at all a bad thing. They have already started to develop color. I don't know everything about Angelfish strain names. The two in the close ups are developing orange so maybe they'd be called something like Marbled Koi Blushers. Sorry I don't know more.
    Thank you 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Both parents are carrying at least one copy of the stripeless gene, since two copies are necessary to get the red gill plate. The koi parent definitely has two copies of the stripeless gene. The pearl parent is carrying one copy. If it carried two copies, then all the fry would have red gill plates. As the fry grows, the red gill plate will fade away.
    Thank you! Very interesting!