ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Default Discus not eating

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Had the same issue before and fixed it in a hospital tank with metro.
    1 month later same symptoms so I put her back in hospital tank with metro for the last 4days. No improvements

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills,*white/yellow/green poop, hiding,*headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus,*blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Fish not eating and laying at the bottom of the tank looking up.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Metro 2 times a day and raised the temp to 90 degrees for the last4 days

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    75 gallons at least 10 years old. 5 discus 4 to 6 inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    10 years sand substrate less than 1 inch.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    RO in a rain barrel for 24 hours. Ph is 6 in the barrel, in the tank is 6.4

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    None

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86

- ph _____6.4

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water __100%__

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    None

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Australian black worms from Al, discus gold,small cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp, Hikari frozen blood worms
    Morning and nights I vary the diet

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Tried and tried to add pics and video but no luck.

Last edited by jeep; 07-09-2019 at*07:50 AM.*Reason:*Added food question
    Last edited by nicole5085; 03-11-2021 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Trying to add pics

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus not eating

Try an antiworm medication like levamisole, prazipro, etc. And remember, even though you may have eradicated the cause, eventually, the fish might not eat for a week or two after treatment ends

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

I have her on metro. Should i discontinue metro or can i add prazipro with it?

Real Name
    Francis

According to Hikari website Prazi Pro should not mix with other drugs during treatment, perhaps finish one treatment and starts the other one later and give the discus a rest in between.

https://hikariusa.com/water_quality_.../prazipro.html
    Grasshopper
    Francis