ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aged water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Aged water

Hello SD,
    I'm trying to carve out a spot to age water to help eliminate some variables as to why I'm continuously losing adult fish, any input on my thoughts would be a great help.

1. My municipality does not use chloramines but they do use chlorine dioxide which maybe my issue? I have read that it off gasses easily so this should eliminate the chlorine issues.

2. My municipality has two supply sources, underground wells & the alabama river. I'm assuming they are mixed but who really knows I have noticed wide PH changes at my tap but all our tanks in the house seem to settle right around 6.8 give or take.

3. The only spot available to me to hold enough water for a 50% change (110gal) is in my garage. It's not climate controlled or insulated and gets very hot mid summer. I'm guessing the swing from winter to summer is 36f to 110f in the space. How important is matching storage temperature to my display tank, as there won't be anyway I can cool it?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Aged water

1. Chlorine will gas off with time, but you should use a dechlorinator to avoid shocking the fish. These contain sodium thiosulfate and are relatively inexpensive. Incredibly inexpensive if you mix your own.
    2. Your water will settle after 24 hours of aeration.
    3. You definitely need to warm up your water in the winter and cool it in the summer. The simplest way in the Summer to cool it is to mix with cold tap. Aeration is far less important in the summer.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    1. Chlorine will gas off with time, but you should use a dechlorinator to avoid shocking the fish. These contain sodium thiosulfate and are relatively inexpensive. Incredibly inexpensive if you mix your own.
    2. Your water will settle after 24 hours of aeration.
    3. You definitely need to warm up your water in the winter and cool it in the summer. The simplest way in the Summer to cool it is to mix with cold tap. Aeration is far less important in the summer.
    I will continue using the safe the cost is a non-issue really.

Wouldn't adding tap water to the aged water for temp matching defeat the purpose of ageing?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Thingsarefun View Post
    ...Wouldn't adding tap water to the aged water for temp matching defeat the purpose of ageing?
    Aging the water is important in the winter because cold water absorbs more gases than warm water. When it warms, the water is supersaturated with gas and can give fish a condition similar to bends. Aeration produces a mechanical motion that lets the water degas. In the summer, this is not necessary. You could go straight from the tap into your tank, or use cold water to adjust water temperature.
    At my age, everything is irritating.